Highlighted

After Effects Expression question

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I've been having a problem with a lower third template I'm working on. I have this text that has to animate in scale from the center point of a bar that changes in length based on another layer of text (the main text). The bar is linked to the main text layer by an expression and the other animated text layers are sourced to the main text layer so they change every time someone updates the template. Right now I cannot find a convenient way to link the animated text to the bar the way the main text is. Does that make sense? Kind of hard to explain on here without some pictures but I don't think I can show anyone what I'm doing yet.

I am not an expression expert and this is too specific a thing I'm trying to do so I'm not finding any copy paste type experessions to use for this. Any help is apprecciated, thanks!

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects Expression question

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I've been having a problem with a lower third template I'm working on. I have this text that has to animate in scale from the center point of a bar that changes in length based on another layer of text (the main text). The bar is linked to the main text layer by an expression and the other animated text layers are sourced to the main text layer so they change every time someone updates the template. Right now I cannot find a convenient way to link the animated text to the bar the way the main text is. Does that make sense? Kind of hard to explain on here without some pictures but I don't think I can show anyone what I'm doing yet.

I am not an expression expert and this is too specific a thing I'm trying to do so I'm not finding any copy paste type experessions to use for this. Any help is apprecciated, thanks!

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 27, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely this will ever work. The way I picture it you are running into what's called a "race condition" here, i.e. the expression engine being unable to prioritize what to animate first. In turn none of this would actually work or it would produce wrong results, likely with the scale animation lagging behind the line animation due to evaluation order. That being the case, it might be simpler to pre-compose the scale animation and link its positioning to a slider that controls the horizontal placment. Clearly eyeballing can't be that hard and in fact allowing fo a slight deviation might even look better. You know, like visual kerning is not necessarily exactly centered...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2020 0