Highlighted

After Effects - footage is green in the preview??

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I import my footage into AE the preview box shows it as green with some lines, almost like a static screen. If I double-click on the clip to choose my start and end points, it previews as normal. However, once I put it into my composition it is green again.  This is only when I have the preview set to half or below. When it's on full it shows the correct colors and everything, but the clip glitches a LOT. Also, this could be unrelated, but my AE is crashing after I do almost anything. Not sure what that is about but maybe it's related.

Here is a screenshot:

Adobe After Effects CC 2018 - C__Users_hlywh_Desktop_edits_velaphne.aep 7_1_2018 10_14_44 PM.png

I've double checked that I have RGB selected--I do.

I've purged and erased my media and disk cache.

I've checked for updates on my drivers--I'm up to date.

I've tried starting over and making a new project, reformatting my videos to be smaller or .mov instead of .mp4.

Nothing works. My AE is up to date. I am using CC 2018, on a Windows 10 laptop with a memory of 8gb and a core i5 processor.

I am so lost. I don't know how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects - footage is green in the preview??

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I import my footage into AE the preview box shows it as green with some lines, almost like a static screen. If I double-click on the clip to choose my start and end points, it previews as normal. However, once I put it into my composition it is green again.  This is only when I have the preview set to half or below. When it's on full it shows the correct colors and everything, but the clip glitches a LOT. Also, this could be unrelated, but my AE is crashing after I do almost anything. Not sure what that is about but maybe it's related.

Here is a screenshot:

Adobe After Effects CC 2018 - C__Users_hlywh_Desktop_edits_velaphne.aep 7_1_2018 10_14_44 PM.png

I've double checked that I have RGB selected--I do.

I've purged and erased my media and disk cache.

I've checked for updates on my drivers--I'm up to date.

I've tried starting over and making a new project, reformatting my videos to be smaller or .mov instead of .mp4.

Nothing works. My AE is up to date. I am using CC 2018, on a Windows 10 laptop with a memory of 8gb and a core i5 processor.

I am so lost. I don't know how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

Topics

Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess because I had a related bug but try this: Right click on the footage, interpret footage->main, go to "more options" do you  have an option to change the VFR settings? If so change it to "preserve audio" insread of "smooth video". Is it better?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to sound so stupid, but I've reached the main settings after following your steps, but my screen is too small and I'm not able to move the settings box up far enough to even reach anything that says VFR settings. I do, however, see the "other options" title and only one option is currently visible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your footage is H.264 which means at best 1 out of 4 frames is a real frame. The rest are composites of guesses made from the color and luminance channels. When H.264 or any other highly compressed format starts behaving like this in AE it means that your CPU is having a hard time digesting and decoding all of the made-up frames. The easiest solution is to find some software that will transcode your footage into a production quality frame-based format. The Adobe Media Encoder will probably handle the footage and render a suitable DI to a standard Mezzanine format (look it up) like ProRez, Cineware, or even an Image Sequence. This will always work. Just changing the interpretation or a preference is not anywhere nearly as reliable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you probably are out of the system requirements for Ae on windows which needs 1280x1080 display resolution

it looks like this:

in this example, the footage is not VFR so I don't have that option.

Rick's suggestion looks like it could do the trick - transcode. for some videos like recordings I try to avoid that because of file sizes and I don't do much processing of the video like effects, animation or vfx work. I am also just curious if that issue if this bug is happening in other scenarios too

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question. This problem recntly happened to me too, but I tried to download Media Encoder and I don't have enough disk space. Is there another way to solve this?

It's really stressing me out...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to say it buy if you can't install Adobe Media Encoder because of lack of disk space, you REALLY need more storage!  No kidding!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the only thing that I have to do is download Media Encoder and it will be back to normal?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Handbrake. It is about 12 MB.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/fPQ2-LvNO-s

open this link i will tell u 

fix the green line in After effect, it's a fast way to fix your problem but should you update your intel or your drivers if you can, if not so you can use th...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. I recommend going to File>Project File and change the Mercury GPU Acceleration to Mercury Software Only. Hope it works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. I think the challenge is AE having trouble in detecting your graphics card.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing from mercury acceleration to software only resolved the issue. I think the challenge is AE having trouble in detecting your graphics card

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works fine with me, thank

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent months trying to find the answer to this problem, and nothing anyone said worked, and then I finally came across this post, and I can finally use my computer for After Effects! Thanks a lot!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! I had the same problem. Thought I had lost 3 weeks of work.

ARRI proress 4444 was flicking/changing color to blue and rotating.Coudlnt play at all.

Tried everything. Cleaning cache over and over, uninstalling after effects and installing again.

This solved my problem, but was the other way around.

It was already on mercury software only and I changed to GPU acceleration and it solved.

Thank you!!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 21.16.50.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix the green line in After effect, it's a fast way to fix your problem but should you update your intel or your drivers if you can, if not so you can use th...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Yurrl2 LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this video was a life saver for me, thank  you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't been answered? I'm Having the same problem. Does it have anything to do with having a 4k display?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has to do with the compression and decompression of the footage. Load your footage up in the Adobe Media Encoder or any encoder and render the footage to a suitable production format and the color values for every frame will be in every frame. MPEG (h.264 is in this group) stores color information in one out of every 3 frames at best and then predicts what the color of each group of at least 4 pixels would be in the missing frames. That's why the file sizes can be significantly smaller, and that is why, sometimes, when After Effects or other apps like Final Cut, Nuke, Fusion, Resolve, Premiere Pro, try to run those calculations you end up with a messed up frame. All it takes is one or two bits of information to be fouled up and a perfectly good image turns into a green mess because it can't find the red or blue information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open my youtube channel https://youtu.be/fPQ2-LvNO-s

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines