Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Import .MP4 issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Is searched and Searched the forums and other websites

The problem is the same as Afters Effects 2020 and Premiere 2020...

BUT If I use any of these 2 Adobe After Effects 2019 or Adobe Premiere 2019

I can basically import any Video Files on to the timeline no problem

with the 2020 version of this Software, they just don't import. Why is this

Iv read on some of these Topics in these Forums that this is Solved

They recommend to Transcode the files in a different format. 

That's not Solved that's only a workaround,

why can I just Drop files in like 2019 versions?

I find transcoding annoying, not only the make files way Bigger as example

I had a 300mb file which transcoded into Pro res 3GB

I cant be transcoding and re-linking files that's just so much of extra work and headache..

For this reason, I have been not able to move over to 2020 when it first came out

can anyone please help what I need to do Thankyou,

SKY

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SKY,

Thanks for reaching out.

What happens exactly when you try to import MP4 files? Do you see any error message? If so, please share a screenshot. Also, is it happening with a particular MP4 file or all of them?

We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Nishu for the Late reply

Below is a  Very Short video showing you the Problem I'm Happening

This happens with any .MP4 file in Premiere and After Effects

Iv saw on Reddit many people having the same problem this has not been Solved yet even though many Topic on here saying Solved ..

thank you, hope you're keeping Safe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any updates on this, please thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with no solution. Not even when I use media encoder to change the format to something "acceptable" to AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is not a universal production format. It can be slightly compressed, but a lot of consumer devices compress the file by predicting rather than compressing as many as 1/3 of the frames. This real frame, then a predicted frame looking one way, then a predicted frame looking both ways compression scheme can wreak havoc when After Effects, and even other apps, tries to decode the predicted frames. MP4's can also have variable frame rates. That also causes problems. Transcoding is the easiest solution. I don't recommend it, but you can transcode again using the Media Player high-bit rate MP4 preset, and it might give you a file that will work. It's not as reliable as transcoding to a frame-based, visually lossless format that video professionals use in their productions like ProRez.

Another hack that sometimes helps if you manage to get an MP4 imported but it is giving glitchy frame playback would be to check the frame rate. If it is not a standard frame rate, open File/Interpret Footage and set the frame rate to the nearest standard frame rate like 29.97, 24, 30. or 25 in PAL countries. PAL is the standard if the electrical grid runs at 50hz instead of 60.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can do the transcoding through Media Encoder (I'm new to this process)? The videos work fine through Premiere Pro to edit, I just need to do some fine tuned tracking edits through AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines