• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects is using way too much ram and I'm not even doing anything.

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open After Effects, import some footage, and split the footage in the way I want it. Then I click play to see the footage and the green bar starts to move and then it stops halfway, therefore I am only able to preview the first half (the footage is 45 seconds long). I added no effects that would cause this to happen, all I have is the footage. Yesterday, it was working just fine, and when I open task manager I see that after effects is using the max amount of gb that it can use.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

8 GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 1650

Windows 10

What I tried doing:

-Re-installing after effects

-Clear the cache

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

45-sec preview is a long time in after effects, mostly we preview 3 to 5 second, you need to remember AE is a motion graphic software and not video editing software, so if you planning to only edit footages it's better for you to use premiere pro where you will be able to preview your footage in real-time, and finally, 8GB RAM is the minimum capacity you can use to run AE so don't be surprised if you can't cache more frames 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, 

Thanks for your response, but even if what you say is true, why was after effects able to preview long footage before. As I said, it was working just fine for footage that is just as long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines