Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects isn't using allocated RAM correctly

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I am currently rendering a scene within AE that shouldn't take especially long to render but I am getting estimated times of around 3 hours. I have allocated 12gb of RAM of my 16gb mac but AE is only using 8% of that. I have closed all other adobe programs but still it is taking quite some time. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render time depends more on what is going on in the comp than anything else. My typical VFX composite renders at the rate of several seconds a frame. I start redesigning the comp if the render time starts creeping above three or four minutes a frame. Any time the render takes longer than a second or two a frame I always render an Image Sequence instead of a movie so if I have a problem or need to go back and fix 10 frames I don't have to render all of the Comp again. My animations usually render at the rate of 10 to 20 frames per minute. 

Almost all of my complex AE work is rendered using a background rendering system. I have several but my favorite is Render Garden. I don't have to stop working, there is no perceptible slowdown in AE, all GPU accelerated effects render using the GPU and on my main workstation, render times drop by about 75 to 80%. If you are doing a lot of render intensive work I strongly suggest you consider a BG rendering solution. They pay for themselves very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick response!

The background renderer looks like an interesting option, I sometimes render using media encoder to continue working in AE but Render Garden looks like are far more efficient system.

I do have a number of characters rigged and animated within the comp which may account for the longer render time but this doesn't explain why AE would only be using a fraction of the RAM allotted to it, why would it be limiting the amount of RAM used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines