• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Newbie character rigging question (3D rigging)

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am studying After Effects (just started, so I am really a big, big noob).

I would like to use it to animate a cartoon character that is extremely simple to create in 3D.

I would like to know if it is possible to create a 3D rig and animate it in a 3D world in a practical way?

I would like to know about pitfalls or benefits compared to a traditional 3D environment as I am keener to go for AE, but I have lots to learn and if it's not worth it I would probably move to something different 🙂

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Since your question is about After Effects, I have moved this from the "Get Started" forum for you.
~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE has no dedicated character rigging tools and the default 3D is more like 2.5 D - flat planes in space. All that being the case it's probably fair to say that you are a far, far way from truly being able to achieve much. Rigging would require to use expressions and tools like DuIK, which in itself adds its own level of complication, you'd ahve to have a fundamental understanding how parenting, pre-composition, coolapsed transformations and other things interact with one another and affect the render pipeline, you'd have to have a good understanding of AE's basic keyframing and concepts like time-remapping and so on. All of that in itself presents a steep challenge. You have to essentially to learn the whole of AE instead of such a limited sub-set of features because it ultimately was never specifically designed with CA in mind. Pretty much everything is a workaround or a creatively sideways used feature. All that being the case, if at all you probably should start in Character Animator and then import files created there into AE for refinement work, but otherwise even some 3D program as unintuitive as Blender is easier to learn and offers better features for CA.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree to Mylenium.

So, to answer your questions:

- there is no practical way

- the whole venture is a pitfall on its own

- there is no benefit at all

Just having a simple 2d character and DUIK rig adds a high level of complexity to AE, and the time needed to create a neat animation and the time AE needs to eval all the expressions increases noticable. Having two DUIK rigs on one comp is like throwing an anchor to the render pipeline.

Working in 3d space in AE is such a throwback in performance, that the combination of both is no win at all.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am evaluating the possibility to creating a 2d puppet instead, would that be a good option?

I don't see much benefit in using Animate as I need to transfer everything to Efter Effects afterwards... I am a little rusty with the new version of Animate (I used Flash CS5 at the time), but I think that there is a 3d camera as well on it now.. I don't know, I am really confused 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines