Highlighted

After Effects playback volume is quiet compared to Premiere - almost unable to work with

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there community!

I've been working with Premiere and After Effects via Dynamic Link for around 4 years now. I've not had this issue before. To summarise the issue: video clips in my Premiere timeline are nice and loud without any audio effects and no keyframed volume added, then I create a dynamically linked AE composition with those clips and without changing the volume of my speakers those same clips are almost impossible to hear in AE during playback. Creating animations that work alongside the audio is becoming increasingly tiring with this issue.

I recently updated my suite of AE, PP, PS and AI to CC2020, latest update. This hasn't happened before.

Sure I could manually increase the dB of each individual clip in AE, and this makes it less impossible to hear them, but still hard to hear them. And that seems like a bandade as opposed to an actual fix. 

Why is AE so quiet compared to PP? Could I have screwed up some settings somewhere? 

My audio output preferences seem to match between the two programs.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Topics

Audio, Dynamic link, Error or problem, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects playback volume is quiet compared to Premiere - almost unable to work with

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there community!

I've been working with Premiere and After Effects via Dynamic Link for around 4 years now. I've not had this issue before. To summarise the issue: video clips in my Premiere timeline are nice and loud without any audio effects and no keyframed volume added, then I create a dynamically linked AE composition with those clips and without changing the volume of my speakers those same clips are almost impossible to hear in AE during playback. Creating animations that work alongside the audio is becoming increasingly tiring with this issue.

I recently updated my suite of AE, PP, PS and AI to CC2020, latest update. This hasn't happened before.

Sure I could manually increase the dB of each individual clip in AE, and this makes it less impossible to hear them, but still hard to hear them. And that seems like a bandade as opposed to an actual fix. 

Why is AE so quiet compared to PP? Could I have screwed up some settings somewhere? 

My audio output preferences seem to match between the two programs.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Topics

Audio, Dynamic link, Error or problem, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided any info about your system nor your actual system audio settings, the respective preference settings or for that matter things like the volume setting on the preview panel. Just saying that there is an issue and speculating on it is not useful.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, thanks for the response. 

True, I was hopeful that maybe someone has been through something similar and had a quick 'try this' suggestion.

I'll do my best below to provide more info, although I'm not 100% sure what to send over other than the initial description of the issue:

- Audio Hardward preferences in both Premiere and After Effects are set to Default Output: Speakers/Headphones (in this case it is my laptop speakers currently)
- System is Windows 10, current version. Running on a Dell XPS 15 9560, Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16GB RAM
- Nothing special with audio settings for the system, I haven't messed around with them. Whilst jumping between PP and AE I have maintained constant volume level on the system
- Where are volume settings in the preview panel? I've never come across them and can't seem to find any right now whilst looking (apart from the toggle sound on/off during preview, which is turned to 'on')

Thanks again for your reply, hopefully what I've provided will give a better jumping off point. If there are any other details you'd like me to send please just let me know! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Same problem here, did you manage to solve it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should try deleting Ae preferences:

Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching After Effects. You can release the Alt or Option key when the splash screen appears.

To reset preferences and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Control-Shift-Alt (Windows) or Command-Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. Release the keys when the splash screen appears.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines