Highlighted

After Effects Preview Slow

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so my laptop is pretty bad so I expect the preview to be slow, however, in Premiere Pro when I add a clip in and change nothing on it, it plays back perfectly as if I was watching it through a media player. But in After Effects, if I add a clip in and try to preview it, it is extremely slow. Why is it that Premiere can playback in realtime but After Effects cannot when nothing has been altered or added? And is it possible to make After Effects do the same as Premiere? 

Any other tips on how to make the preview faster/not crash/not freeze or hang After Effects will be helpful! -I know how to change resolution of preview so anything besides that thank you 🙂

My crappy laptop is an Acer Aspire A515-52. Specs:

intel i5-8265U @ 1.60 GHz

8 GB ram

Intel UHD Graphics 620

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, How to, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects Preview Slow

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so my laptop is pretty bad so I expect the preview to be slow, however, in Premiere Pro when I add a clip in and change nothing on it, it plays back perfectly as if I was watching it through a media player. But in After Effects, if I add a clip in and try to preview it, it is extremely slow. Why is it that Premiere can playback in realtime but After Effects cannot when nothing has been altered or added? And is it possible to make After Effects do the same as Premiere? 

Any other tips on how to make the preview faster/not crash/not freeze or hang After Effects will be helpful! -I know how to change resolution of preview so anything besides that thank you 🙂

My crappy laptop is an Acer Aspire A515-52. Specs:

intel i5-8265U @ 1.60 GHz

8 GB ram

Intel UHD Graphics 620

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, How to, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere isn't After Effects and After Effects isn't Premiere. As easy as that.

They are both designed for differnet purposes and have both different techniques under the hood.

While Premiere is designed to editing where realtime playback is critical, AE is designed to createVFX and animations. Realtime playback isn't the top priority when it comes to CGI, but making effects work no matter how complex they are.

Therefore, the way AE prepares a frame to display - even if no effects are added - differs completely to how Premiere do this.

You have a laptop with minimal specs to run AE - you know it by yourself - what tips are you expecting?

There is no magic trick to make AE run fast, but solid high end hardware and an effective workflow which takes into consideration, how AE is working.

Here are some very good reads about hardware recommendations for AE:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php?filter[]=After%20Effects

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 1