Highlighted

After Effects Problem

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It's been a while since I've had a problem with After Effects. I went to many professors, but my problem was not solved. When I want to convert a shape to a vector in After Effects, the vector space becomes completely gray. Thanks

Untitled.jpgEliyas_0-1591860132571.png

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects Problem

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It's been a while since I've had a problem with After Effects. I went to many professors, but my problem was not solved. When I want to convert a shape to a vector in After Effects, the vector space becomes completely gray. Thanks

Untitled.jpgEliyas_0-1591860132571.png

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the After Effects forum from Get Started

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you convert a gradient filled shape in Illustrator to a Shape layer in After Effects the Gradient is replaced with a solid gray fill. You will have to go into the shape layer, delete the solid fill, and add a new gradient fill. The way Illustrator handles and edits gradients is completely different than the way After Effects handles gradients in shape layers. There is no bug. Your only option is to recreate the gradient fill as closely as you can or just work with the AI layer. Unless you need Shape Layer animators or to animate the actual vector paths in the AI file, there is no advantage to converting the vector layer to a shape layer. If there are a lot of paths in the AI layer you can easily slow down AE to the point of being incredibly frustrating to use. 

The only reason you would ever convert an AI layer to a shape layer would be to animate the path or use one or more of the shape layer animators like Trim Paths. I work with AI files all the time and maybe one out of 50 projects will require me to convert one or more of the AI layers to a shape layer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0