Highlighted

After Effects renders files too big (3 Min. 80GB!)

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have a really big problem since a rather long period of time already.

I'm owning a music YouTube channel and I'm creating audio visualizers for it regularly. It's nothing really special; just some kind of audio visualizer with a logo and background wiggle, nothing more.

But still my After Effects program seems to have issues with it... every single time I'm rendering a project of this kind, it renders a REALLY big file, much too big! Like 80GB for a 3 min. video!!!

I'm using QuickTime (H.264) in the rendering settings, and that worked perfectly in Windows 7 (max. 100MB for a 3-4 min. video), but since I'm using Windows 10 it doesn't seem to work properly any more. AVI is no alternative because it's even worse in terms of file size.

Now, as a workaround, I render every project a 2nd time in another program called "Easy H.264" which renders the videos just perfectly fine, same as Windows 7 did in former times.

What could be the problem now? How can I manage to get the normal file size back? I'm still on After Effects 2014, should I upgrade to 2015?

Best Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects renders files too big (3 Min. 80GB!)

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have a really big problem since a rather long period of time already.

I'm owning a music YouTube channel and I'm creating audio visualizers for it regularly. It's nothing really special; just some kind of audio visualizer with a logo and background wiggle, nothing more.

But still my After Effects program seems to have issues with it... every single time I'm rendering a project of this kind, it renders a REALLY big file, much too big! Like 80GB for a 3 min. video!!!

I'm using QuickTime (H.264) in the rendering settings, and that worked perfectly in Windows 7 (max. 100MB for a 3-4 min. video), but since I'm using Windows 10 it doesn't seem to work properly any more. AVI is no alternative because it's even worse in terms of file size.

Now, as a workaround, I render every project a 2nd time in another program called "Easy H.264" which renders the videos just perfectly fine, same as Windows 7 did in former times.

What could be the problem now? How can I manage to get the normal file size back? I'm still on After Effects 2014, should I upgrade to 2015?

Best Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2016 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using QuickTime (H.264) in the rendering settings,

Don't. you should encode your file with an encoding software like Adobe Media Encoder.

read this:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects | Creative Clou...

and this:

Basics of rendering and exporting in After Effects CC

watch this:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2016 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is that you have not taken the time to learn about video formats or study up on rendering. You have two options. Use the Adobe Media encoder and the standard h.264 presets to render your projects or you should be creating a digital intermediate using a suitable production codec and then rendering your h.264 MP4 in the Adobe Media Encoder. Your frame sizes and frame rates should come from the presets in composition settings. You should NEVER use QuickTime (h.264) because Apple is no longer supporting that format and it never worked well. There are a bunch of articles and posts that make that point.

Spend a little time studying up on the proper way to render your projects and make sure you are using the standard frame size and frame rate (HDTV 1080 is the most common) for your composition settings. You cannot fiddle with the composition settings unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2016 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found this question, because I had the same problem. A short 3 min video was making my computer have a melt down and trying to save at over 100 GB! Whhaat is going wrong? This is not a rendering issue. I went back and noticed that one of the main video files was scaled up to over 260% to fit the other layers in the composition. Once I scaled that back down to 100% it finished rendering in under under 10 mins and came out much smaller size at 7.8GB. Once I converted it in quicktime it was down to 171MB. So I would check to make sure any original art work or movie files have not been scaled way up. Worth a shot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harrison,

Your workflow sounds awkward and inefficient. You either want to render a digital intermediate for further use in the post-production process or to save as a master using a visually lossless frame-based format or you want to render an interframe compressed for distribution to the public. The most common format for that is an H.264 MP4, and that is precisely what the Adobe Media Encoder is for. 

I strongly suggest that you spend some time with the User Guide so you can work more efficiently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

How about you stop being a weird dick to people who are clearly neophytes - then following up with oppresive jargon. You are not "helping," so don't comment.

Best,

An Adult Reading this page

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!

-A concerned user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0