• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Shift+Click Drag

New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue trying to create a circular mask in my 1920x1080 composition. (I am working in square pixels. toggle pixel aspect ration is also on)
When I try to make a perfect circle (Click and drag, then hold shift, then release click, release shift)
the result always ends up as if i never held shift to begin with. 

This problem also persists when trying to drag a shape holding shift. It will end up where my mouse is, instead of where it was when i was holding shift.

Thank you

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. What's the version of After Effects are you using? Have you tried resetting the preferences of After Effects to make the settings default: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after-effects/td-...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

Thank you for the reply. I am currently using v17.0.6. on windows. the reset preference is not appearing when i hold ctrl+shift+alt when opening AE from adobe CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange.

Please try resetting the preferences manually. Follow the steps:

1. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects
  2. Rename 17.0 as 17.0old
  3. Go to C:\Users\username\Documents\Adobe
  4. Rename After Effects as After Effects.old
  5. Launch After Effects and see if it brings any change.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

That did seem to reset something. The recent projects list was cleared, so I assume the other preferences have been reset. However, I'm still have the issue where the shift keys doesn't contraint a parameter, like x or y position after releasing the mouse click. The selection will just "pop" to where my cursor is at the time of release. 

I am able to make straight lines with the pen tool, but I can't make a perfect square or circle mask.

I am not having this issue in any other adobe program i use.

Thank you again for your reply!

Thank you,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that, Ian. Some antiviruses interfere with the key combinations. Are you using any antivirus? If yes, disable it and check if that brings any difference.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

I reset the preferences again. I'm not sure what is going on, I seem to be getting it to work every now and then.

Thank you,

Ian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using any peripherals like a tablet? If yes, please disconnect them from your system and see if that brings any change. Also, would you mind testing with a different keyboard?

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked for Caps-Lock?

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines