Highlighted

After Effects update + MacOS update = Trouble

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a few days ago I updated all my Adobe programs including After Effects (v17.1.14 (build 37)) and everything went fine. Friday, I updated my MacOS to Catalina v10.15.7 and ever since then my After Effects has become almost unusable. The same workfile that previously worked just fine suddenly becomes incredible slow. I can barely RAM preview and even just going through the timeline is a major effort. Even if I change the preview resolution down to Half, nothing really changes.

Sadly I can't exactly turn back MacOS so I'm hoping there will be a fix for this soon. Any ideas? Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects update + MacOS update = Trouble

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a few days ago I updated all my Adobe programs including After Effects (v17.1.14 (build 37)) and everything went fine. Friday, I updated my MacOS to Catalina v10.15.7 and ever since then my After Effects has become almost unusable. The same workfile that previously worked just fine suddenly becomes incredible slow. I can barely RAM preview and even just going through the timeline is a major effort. Even if I change the preview resolution down to Half, nothing really changes.

Sadly I can't exactly turn back MacOS so I'm hoping there will be a fix for this soon. Any ideas? Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In hindsight I'm not entirely sure everything worked fine before the MacOS update. I just assumed it did but I don't think I worked much in AFX between the two updates. I just assumed it had to do with MacOS since that happened pretty much right after, after which point I started noticing it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled it back to the previous version of After Effects and it's still pretty much the same. Slight improvement, but unworkable. So perhaps it does have to do with the recent MacOS update. Can't roll that back though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0