• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects will only let me use the "paint" tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating. Any time I try to use the rotobrush, or the clone stamp tool, or anything that opens the layer panel, AE only applies the "paint" tool. I can start clicking around but it only applies streaks of black paint, getting any other tool to work is impossible.

I also just discovered that I can't make shape layers. I can have the tool selected, but whenever I click in the viewer, it doesn't put anything down. I mean right now, AE is pretty much useless for me.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is the fact that I can't update to newer versions because I'm still using Windows 7 (and the latest version only runs on 10). Could this be the problem?

I've attached a picture where you can see what's happening, see how the rotobrush tool is selected but what's being applied is a paint streak. It happens with all the tools up there.

Edit: Nevermind, I just tried to uninstall but now it won't let me reinstall because Windows 7 isn't supported, so I can't use AE anymore. Screw Adobe.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please embed your screenshots instead of uploading them. Use the toolbar.

Screenshot_2020-04-13 18.21.17_3U4mB7.png

This should be the standard workflow for Rotobrush

1. Select the Paint Workspace
  2. Select a layer containing a MOVIE
  3. Use the Layer menu or Right-click to open the Movie or Pre-composed movie in the layer panel
  4. Select the Rotobrush tool and click somewhere in the scene to start creating your mask
  5. If things are not working as expected the Effects Control Panel will open and show Rotobrush applied to the layer. 

I've listed the things I see wrong with your workflow. The first one is trying to use Rotobrush on a still image. There is no reason at all to do that. Removing the background in Photoshop would take about 2 clicks and you would be done. Creating a procedural matte using Extract and a simple garbage matte would also take only a few seconds. Since the image does not move there is no reason at all to have it propagate. 

If AE will not recognize the Rotobrush tool try rebooting and relaunching AE. If that does not fix the problem then delete your AE preferences. There are no reported bugs with the tool in any of the current releases of After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines