Highlighted

After Effects won't load up

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Big Sur and photoshop is working fine.  After Effects just bounces in the dock then stops, I can't get it to load. Here's my specs below-any help would be appreciated.

Blaine

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 1554.50.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.12561.0.0,0)

Hi Blaine,

It looks like you don't have read and write permissions on any one of those parent directories. Can you follow the steps given in this article and reassign the read and write permissions to the "Adobe" folder? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-after-effects-can-t-continue-error-while-accessing-the-preference-files/td-p/9726148?page=1

Thanks,

Rameez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects won't load up

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Big Sur and photoshop is working fine.  After Effects just bounces in the dock then stops, I can't get it to load. Here's my specs below-any help would be appreciated.

Blaine

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 1554.50.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.12561.0.0,0)

Hi Blaine,

It looks like you don't have read and write permissions on any one of those parent directories. Can you follow the steps given in this article and reassign the read and write permissions to the "Adobe" folder? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-after-effects-can-t-continue-error-while-accessing-the-preference-files/td-p/9726148?page=1

Thanks,

Rameez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 14, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gray5E58,

Welcome to the community.

I suspect you're unable to launch After Effects due to folder permission issues. Try the following steps and report back:

1. Navigate to /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects
  2. Rename the "17.5" folder to "OLD_17.5"
  3. Launch After Effects

Thanks,

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the directory so I uninstalled and reinstalled- below is the error message I got.
After Effects warning: The directory '/Users/test/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/17.5' could not be created. Please check the parent directory protection or permission rights."

Blaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blaine,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-after-effects-can-t-continue-error-while-accessing-...

Thanks,

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That resolved the issue. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you!

Happy to help.

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0