• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects wont let new project be created - just a blank workspace and no clickable options.

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  

My office just upgraded our Adobe this week, and I've been excited to try out After Effects.  When I open AE, all I get is a blanke screen, with no options to start a project able to be selected, and they are all grayed out indicating you can't click it.  Every tutorial shows different areas of workspaces for this program, but I have nothing.  Any help with this would be greatly appriciated

-SS attached for reference

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Make sure you're not opening the render engine. What you were describing is exactly that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add:  This app was updated a few hours ago and is the current version, my iMac is running Catalina 10.15.6 and I haven't upgraded to Big Sur yet - photo attached up the updated app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're not opening the render engine. What you were describing is exactly that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I didn't realize there was a difference and had added the render engine to my dock instead of the actual program - this was my first time trying out after effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is your first time using AE please open the Learn workspace and spend a few minutes going through the UI tutorials. You should also become familiar with the User Guide. Just poking around in the UI or cruising YouTube for tutorials is a very inefficient way to learn how to use After Effects. Unfortunately, most of the newer tutorials I see on YouTube cause more problems than they solve because enthusiasts find something cool, then copy the recipe and poorly explain it. Some of the workflows are terribly inefficient. 

Spend some time with some good learning resources and you'll save a bunch of time fiddling and asking for help on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I agree - I was able to start a few of the tutorials right in the program and they have been really helpful so far - the youtube tutorials are great, but none of them talk about the basics and I love how adobe has integrated the learning experience right into the program itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines