Highlighted

AI file blurry after importing to after effects even after clicking on Continuously Rasterize

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing an AI file (link attached here) to Affect Effect. When I drag this file from the project window to composition it by defaults creates a 720x500 composition. In AE, even when I click on the continuously Rasterize option, the AI file is still blurry, and when I animate it and export it, it looks really blurry 😞

Initially in illustrator file looks really clean and NO pixelation even when a zoom a lot but importing it in AE and zooming in makes it pixelated.

I am using the latest AE, version 17.1.1.

I researched a lot but couldn't find a solution. I would really appreciate some help.

AI File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1biiqWm2_sJxjqrPK0DGrYRLsTlLDNFhF/view?usp=sharing 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AI file blurry after importing to after effects even after clicking on Continuously Rasterize

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing an AI file (link attached here) to Affect Effect. When I drag this file from the project window to composition it by defaults creates a 720x500 composition. In AE, even when I click on the continuously Rasterize option, the AI file is still blurry, and when I animate it and export it, it looks really blurry 😞

Initially in illustrator file looks really clean and NO pixelation even when a zoom a lot but importing it in AE and zooming in makes it pixelated.

I am using the latest AE, version 17.1.1.

I researched a lot but couldn't find a solution. I would really appreciate some help.

AI File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1biiqWm2_sJxjqrPK0DGrYRLsTlLDNFhF/view?usp=sharing 

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 28, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it uses features like pattern fils, complex gradients, drop shadows and so on it will of course behave that way and treated as pixel art simply because some of those features are pixel-based in AI to begin with and AE cannot re-create many of them in editable form on top of it. Also check your document DPI settings and the raster effects DPI setting in AI. This stuff matters and mismatches can degrade your artwork.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I checked your AI file. The Artboard is only 750 X 500 so that doesn't match up with any video standard and it is awfully small for HD video. I spot checked a bunch of the shapes and didn't see any raster effects but I did see a fair number of 1pt strokes and 1pt lines don't work well with video unless they are aligned with the pixel grid, so I turned on Pixel Preview, magnified the screen to 1600% and checked and those 1pt strokes have a problem, They are not going to be the right color and if they move, they will flicker as the edges are interpolated. So that artwork has three basic but not fatal flaws. The Artboard is smaller than a standard HD frame size, the artwork contains 1pt (1 pixel) lines that are not lined up with the pixel grid, and Snap to Pixel was not used with creating the artwork.

Screenshot_2020-06-28 07.08.31_KzYld5.png

I imported the file as a composition retaining layer sizes, selected all layers, pressed s to scale all layers, set the scale to 3000% and turned Continuously Rasterize on for all layers and when viewed at a magnification ratio of 100%, all of the edges that I could find looked perfect.

Screenshot_2020-06-28 07.01.59_R1iZpr.png

I'm guessing that you either did not turn on Continuously Rasterize or you set the Magnification Ratio to something more than 100% and did not understand that the Magnification Ratio is there to give you a close up look at the Pixels in the comp. AE's Magnification Ratio works exactly the Magnification Ratio in Illustrator if you turn on Pixel Preview.

Here are a couple more screenshots. With CR off or not working on a layer this is what you get when you magnify the view to 1600%:

Screenshot_2020-06-28 07.29.07_k3uOsa.png

Turning on CR gives you the antialiased line you are looking for.

Screenshot_2020-06-28 07.31.03_nmbEO3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick and Mylenium

@Rick

So, the only difference between what you showed about and what I performed was - zooming and scaling. I was zooming the image expecting to see smooth shapes. You scaled every layer to 3000% and looking it at 100% zoom. 

Above is fine, but what I really cared for, at the end of the day, was that when I export this video it should play smoothly in 1920x1080. However, that is not the case. A 1920x1080 export of this video is pixelated. I understand 750x500 size artboard issue you pointed, but is there no way to export - a small artboard imported in AE - to a 1920x1080 clean video?

Thanks

K

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you continuously rasterize and export to HD the lines will be as sharp as any line can be in an HD video. How were you watching the video you rendered. If you uploaded to YouTube and watched right away then you were seeing the first low-resolution copy that YouTube rendered of your video. You have to wait for the HD version to be ready and you have to make sure that the settings and bandwidth allow you to see the HD version. 

If you were looking at your media player and you scaled it up or filled an HD display like my 5K production monitor with HD video, it's going to be a little soft because there is a big difference between the resolution of the display and the resolution of the video. 

If you still think there is something wrong will you please share the rendered video and share your workflow.  I took your AI file, imported as a comp, made the layers 3D, turned CR, distributed and scaled some of the layers, and did a camera move effectively scaling the finger of the prof about 3000% and it looks just fine. Here's the file: Animated Professor and here's the file on YouTube. It was rendered with the Media Encoder's default YouTube HD preset.

And an enlarged screenshot about 240% - I see no aliasing or softness issues.

Screenshot_2020-07-05 14.11.54_O5XrRi.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2020 0