Highlighted

Align Stroke in After Effects

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape Layes has almost everything that Illustrator has, except for the abilty to align the stroke to Inside, Outside or Center. Is there a way to do this?

I want this but in After Effects!

image.jpg

in the shape layer, click on the "Add" button, and chose "Offset Paths"

You can manually alter the offset value, or if you'd like to automate an inner stroke or outer stroke, just pick-whip the offset amount to the stroke width, then, divide by 2, or -2.

An inner stroke would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 12.10.30 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Align Stroke in After Effects

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape Layes has almost everything that Illustrator has, except for the abilty to align the stroke to Inside, Outside or Center. Is there a way to do this?

I want this but in After Effects!

image.jpg

You can manually alter the offset value, or if you'd like to automate an inner stroke or outer stroke, just pick-whip the offset amount to the stroke width, then, divide by 2, or -2.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 20, 2013 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also having the exact same problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2013 0
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only way I found to go around this was to paste the Illustrator path while selecting the "path" option in the Shape Layer. then make the stroke width double of what you need, and then, select Shape Layer (not Path option), to create a mask, changing the blending mode to SUBTRACT, and there you go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2014 16
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This helped me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yay! glad I could help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2014 0
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I was looking for as well.  Thank you for posting such a concise and helpful answer!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Quick, simple, and totally what i needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome workaround thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to do the same but cannot seem to work it our on current version. For me the Expression amount option is missing even when I add offstet paths. Furthermore I'm not really sure what you mean by "just pick-whip the offset amount to the stroke width, then, divide by 2, or -2"

Hope someone can help 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
zakkkaye LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I have figured out how to add expression  and I have done exactly what you said but not working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag fill above stroke.. see below.

ab.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works great for an outer stroke, when and if your fill is 100% opaque.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2019 1