Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All footage disappears after extending composition duration

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope this problem has a relatively simple answer.

I am creating an animated infographic and I had orginally set the composition to be 30s long.

Near completion of the animation I realised that it needed to be longer so I went to the composition settings and extended the duration to 90s.

However, after the extension the video still plays as normal until the 30s when everything just disappears and the composition reverts to its background colour.

How do I get everything to remain in place from 30s to the complete 90s?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

do this:

select All layers - Ctrl/Cmd + A

now manually drag the layers by the edge to the end of your duration

stretch.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you extend the duration, you have to actually extend the layers too... make sure the layers are all the way stretched to the end of the duration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this for shapes and Text as well? There is no Open Layer option for me to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do this:

select All layers - Ctrl/Cmd + A

now manually drag the layers by the edge to the end of your duration

stretch.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! now that we have solved this crisis, make sure you indulge yourself in some tutorials because this was basic stuff: After Effects tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Yes I have done the basic stuff already as you described but the image still disappears. Original duration 20 sec's then extended it to 25 sec's. Image there right up to 20 sec's then disappears for the remainder of the timeline(5secs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screenshot of your timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam,

2017-02-16 (2).png

As you can see the image is in place right up to 20 sec's.

2017-02-16 (3).png

Then after 20 sec's it starts to break up and disappear. Timeline extended to 25 sec's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray. All good. Finally worked it all out. When you're just starting out in after effects, things can get a little bit messy. Hugh learning curve, but that's what it all about, learning and having fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please explain how you fixed this? I am trying to fix the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow his selfish arse came here looking for help and when he figured it out he kept it to himself and didn't help anyone else. What a selfish act!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a simlar issue. I've extended every composition from 0:01:00:00 to 0:04:00:00 and have gone through and confirmed that every 1. individual image, 2. the base composition for the photo, 3. Each camera, position, wiggle and solid 4. the composition 'frames' I created for the images, have all been extended via their comp settings, and extended via the actual duration slider. 

Even so, the images disappear after the 0:01:00:00 mark, despite being visible along the whole length of the 0:01:00:00 timeline. Any assistance would be fab!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never found a solution. I had to start over from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@David192023 @larryj56783524 I finally figured out the solution and hope this helps you guys out. I guess the solution above didn't work for you because are using a pre comp (Say Frame1) inside a main comp. You would have extended the comp setting of Frame1 to match the main comp and also extended the layer duration as suggested above of Frame1 to the entire main comp duration but you wouldn't have extended the individual layer duration in Frame 1 to the entire Frame1 duration. And @David192023  this might be what you already tried above but I felt a bit of ambiguity.So I thought I would type again.
This worked for me so I hope it helps you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines