Highlighted

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M MacBook Pro for After Effects 2020

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow AE users,

I am considering going all out on a MacBook Pro.  I realize that a PC is better bang for the buck, but have gotten very used to the Apple OS and other workflow details, so I am willing to deal with the unfair price tag.

That being said I am considering the upgrade to AMD Radeon Pro 5600M.

It comes at a very heft 600usd just for the Video card upgrade alone.   The card seems to be very fast with lots of other apps, but will it help After Effects in a considerable way?

Curious if anyone has any experience, or suggestions on where to search for more info.

Also any other general 2020 MacBook Pro suggestions for how to optimize a new unit to AE are very welcome.  

Thanks all!

TOPICS
FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M MacBook Pro for After Effects 2020

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow AE users,

I am considering going all out on a MacBook Pro.  I realize that a PC is better bang for the buck, but have gotten very used to the Apple OS and other workflow details, so I am willing to deal with the unfair price tag.

That being said I am considering the upgrade to AMD Radeon Pro 5600M.

It comes at a very heft 600usd just for the Video card upgrade alone.   The card seems to be very fast with lots of other apps, but will it help After Effects in a considerable way?

Curious if anyone has any experience, or suggestions on where to search for more info.

Also any other general 2020 MacBook Pro suggestions for how to optimize a new unit to AE are very welcome.  

Thanks all!

TOPICS
FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2020 0
Guide ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply doesn't matter which recent GPU you put into your system. None of them will improve AE performance in a remarkable way. Only 3rd party addons which are GPU based will benefit.

I'm working on a GTX1080 and the card is hardly used by AE.

AE is optimized for Windows, Intel, NVidia (Cuda in particular) - but will work on your Apple as well. You should focus on single thread performance of the CPU. The higher the clock speed, the better. 4 cores at 4Ghz will be faster then 8 cores at 2 Ghz for example. And you should put in as much RAM as possible. I'm working with 64GB and I'm already pushing the limits when doing 360° stuff.

If you have enough RAM, your final renders will be way faster if you use on of the available render managers. Check aescripts or google for that.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Martin.  Very helpful.  I ened up getting it figuring that it wasn't the best use of my cash, but praying somehow AE might in the next 3/5 years be optimized for more GPU and multi thread stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the render manager via aescripts, will check out.  Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0