Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated counter, how to edit!

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a text animated counter that I downloaded, which has an animated text counter, going from numbers 0-67, using Expression: Source Text

The code

thisComp.layer("CONTROL").effect("PERCENTAGE 1")(1).value.toFixed(0)+ "%";

How do I change this, so I can have an arbitrary end value such as 125 etc.?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it that you have an Effect Control slider added to the text layer named PERCENTAGE. If that is correct and there are no other lines in the expression then the slider has two keyframes. You will be able to see them by selecting the text layer in the timeline and pressing the U key twice. This will show you any modified properties in the timeline. The value of the keyframe will be zero, the value of the last keyframe would be 67. Change the value of the keyframes or set new ones by moving the slider or entering new values and you end up with new numbers.

This is really basic stuff. Either you are very new to AE or you have left out a bunch of information about the comp setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I figured this one out finally.

To Rick, if you are going to contribute here, I would suggest that you refrain from posting slightly obtuse remarks such as, 'this is really basic stuff'.

I have some 20 year's experience using Adobe's core design apps – InDesign, Illustrator & Photoshop – in the design industry; when teaching users, I try to be helpful - not condescending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to burn your ears. Setting and editing a keyframe is the most basic skill anyone using After Effects should have.

If there is nothing more on the text layer than a slider and the expression you are showing and you cannot change the values you apparently do not have that basic skill. Anyone that had taken the time to go through just a few minutes of Basic AE training would have found the slider and fiddled with it.

If fiddling with the slider does not change the value then we can't help you without knowing what else is going on in the composition. We need a screenshot showing the modified properties of the layers giving you problems revealed.  Just press the U key twice and PrintScreen and Paste.

After Effects is a lot more complicated than any other Adobe App and it takes training to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this was a forum to help each other. Not to "scream" at eachother virtually.

I hope your question is answered @adrianf5676415

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I guess I should sign up for sensitivity training. Did not mean to send someone to counseling because I suggested that they study the basics. I guess I am a little insensitive because for the 48 years I have been making my living making movies and taking pictures and many many people have helped grow by telling me I was doing something wrong or that I did something stupid. I appreciated the swift kick in the pants. A couple of times it kept me alive. I promise I will try harder to for others so they will not have to learn to do for themselves.

Aw... I have probably offended somebody again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy old man take care of that old heart of yours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry. I'm incredibly tough. You have to be to survive in this business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea right lol, I'd like too see how "tough" you are big boy. Next time just answer the question of that person without screwing somebodies day up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where you downloaded it from.
Could you provide a screenshot?
If you can't post a screen for some reason follow this tutorial on how to make
one yourself!
Animated Number Counters - After Effects Tutorial (No Third Party Plugin) - T073 - YouTube

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian

I've created a Counter Preset that does exactly that it's, it started as a small expression but over time it became vast enough to use it for any counter animtion so I use it quite a lot in my line of work.

Liran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
“After Using this AMAZING Preset, I’LL BE BACK to use it on every project”

arnold schwarzenegger,  June 2057

HAHAHA awesome thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines