• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animating text along a path on surface of sphere

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All! I'm looking for a way to animate text along a path on the surface of a globe. I've tried animating text along a mask path, which works fine until I apply cc sphere and it heavily skewers the text because it is stretching the entire text/mask path area over the surface of the sphere. I then tried to precompose the text animating along the path but then the problem is that I want to zoom way in on the surface of the globe and when I do that the text is not vector but pixelated because the precomp is what is being used as the surface of the globe. 

Does anyone have a good way to do this that will maintain the crispness of the text animated along a path?

Thanks in advance!

Gabe 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

If you have to zoom way in, make your precomp containing the text really big.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the pre-installed Text Animation Preset called "3D Rotate around a Circle". The preset applies a Mask Path as well as two keyframes. After applying the preset, adjust the size of the Mask Path and the keyframe values to suit your exacting needs.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a comp that is twice as wide as it is high that has the same vertical dimension as your main comp. Add a text layer to the vertical middle of the comp if you want your text to line up with the equator of the sphere you will create. Name this comp "Animated Text" and drop it in your main comp, then apply CC Sphere to the Animated text layer and you have text wrapping around a sphere. You can choose to only have the front part of the sphere visible of the text layer is the only one in the nested comp. 

Now all you have to do is animate the rotation of the sphere. If you want additional animation for your text layer then all you have to do is animate the text in the nested comp. This is what you end up with if you also apply CC Sphere to a world map, make the bottom copy of the sphere smaller than the top copy and only show the Outside of the sphere, duplicate the text comp, move it below the Earth Comp and set it to render only the inside, set the Earth comp as a track matte for the bottom text layer and then turn on the earth visibility. This took about 5 minutes. The rotation properties are tied together with simple pickwhip expressions so you only have to animate the rotation of the one text layer to move them both. It looks something like this when I set up a viewer for the text and earth comps:

Screenshot_2020-01-27 20.36.38_rhttbY.png

There are a couple of other ways to do this. The most efficient way to put text on a sphere depends entirely on your design goals and animation requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to zoom way in, make your precomp containing the text really big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have been the trick. It's sort of a brute force approach but then again whatever works. 

globe text.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines