Highlighted

Apply Flicker to Pre-Composed Layer

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pre-composed layer of seven video objects that I'd like to apply a flickering effect to. I want to be able to start and stop this flicker effect as I deem fit. 
I've tried applying a LoopOut expression to the opacity of this pre-composed layer in my main composition but it doesn't seem to work. 

When I try applying it to each individual video object inside the precomposition, I cannot control the length of the expression.

I've also tried creating a null object, and parenting this pre-composed layer, and then applying the LoopOut expression, but to no luck.

Any suggestions? 

Topics

Dynamic link, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Apply Flicker to Pre-Composed Layer

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pre-composed layer of seven video objects that I'd like to apply a flickering effect to. I want to be able to start and stop this flicker effect as I deem fit. 
I've tried applying a LoopOut expression to the opacity of this pre-composed layer in my main composition but it doesn't seem to work. 

When I try applying it to each individual video object inside the precomposition, I cannot control the length of the expression.

I've also tried creating a null object, and parenting this pre-composed layer, and then applying the LoopOut expression, but to no luck.

Any suggestions? 

Topics

Dynamic link, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Have a look at the Strobe Effect, it can be keyframed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Flicker" can mean numerous things.  If you wish to simply flicker (vary) the opacity, as your first attempt suggests, then apply a Wiggle expression to the Precomp layer's opacity.  

f = 1;

a = 100;

wiggle(f, a)

f is for frequency, a is for amount.  This will create a random level of opacity at the frequency you set (above it's 1 per second) and the amount it varies (100 percent in this example).  The opacity will vary between each iteration, meaning if you set the frequency to 1 per second, it will slide from value to value each second.

To create a more clunky opacity change, where the opacity doesn't change between iterations, posterise time in the expression.

f = 1;

a = 100;

posterizeTime(f);

wiggle(f, a)

If you feel like spending a few dollars, videocopilot.net has a plugin called Twitch which allows lots of different ways to flicker, distort and twitch a layer, without ever thinking about expressions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines