• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

As a motion graphics animator - what equipment do you use?

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I was wondering if there's any equipment I'm still not aware of which I could benefit from as a motion graphics animator.

So, how is your environment set up?

Thanks!

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find a computer helps with motion graphics;)

And the faster the processor and more RAM the merrier!

But in addition to that, a wacom drawing tablet is super helpful, fast and ergonomically helps reduce repetative strain caused by use of a mouse.

Soho Editors - John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beside 3 large monitors and a recent high-end PC, I'm using a medium-size Wacom tablett for years now. I'm not drawing a lot, but use it as replacement for the mouse in general. It's so much easier to operate in a narrow UI, as AE or AI have, with a tablett compared to a mouse.

I also would recommend a keyboard and mouse with programmable keys. Unlocking guidelines in AI? Just a keystroke.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically echoing what the other answers said, but:
Capable system. What that means is somewhat up to you and the kind of work you'll be doing.
Good monitors. You'll be looking at these a lot! Do a bit of research, though - size overkill is definitely a thing. 
Intput devices. I primarily use a Wacom, with a mouse for (very rare) occasional use. I have an old Logitech Internte Navigator keyboard with a bunch of programmable buttons and a scroll wheel, which adds a lot of functionality and helps offset the less-convenient zooming behavior of a Wacom. 
A comfortable chair/desk setup. If you're going to be spending all day here, make sure it's comfortable, and don't underestimate the importance of investing in ergonomics. 
Especially if you're on Windows, look into alternative file browsers. File management is a huge part of what we do, and the consumer stuff is ... not great for us. I personally have been using Directory Opus for years and love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the great tips!

I've been animating for years, but since I don't draw anything myself - I never considered the Wacom tablet.

I'll look into that and the rest of your recommendations, including the Directory Opus

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys

Started to investigate about the Wacom tablet more seriously now.

I've been wondering - from what I understand, in order to move your pen from one corner of the screen to another opposite corner, it takes much more effort (ie. movement distance) than using the mouse.

Doesn't that make things more difficult?

Or am I missing something?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'll depend somewhat on your monitor setup (multiple? widescreen?), the size of your tablet surface, and how you have that mapped. I personally use a tablet in place of a mouse 95% of the time, with two side-by-side monitors. My wrist feels much better than when I relied on a mouse. I am not especially drawing-focused, and because of my setup, my tablet is essentially stretched horizontally, so actually drawing with it would be somewhat of a challenge. Most of the folks I know who use it more for drawing generally only have one monitor or have the tablet only mapped to one. There's a decent amount of flexibility in terms of setup, so you should be able to make it work for your needs and comfort.
I'd probably recommend starting with a smaller/cheaper one to see if you like it, and then move up as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

I have two screens but I barely draw anything.

I was just trying to understand how could moving a around a tablet to control AE be more comfrotable than using a mouse, but I guess it's possible to find a setup that will indeed do that.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case, it's all about the wrist positioning/rotation. The way you have to twist your wrist to use a mouse is pretty uncomfortable for some people anyway, and I have an old injury that amplifies it with long mouse use. I use my tablet in mouse mode, so it's based on the movements you make, not exact screen positioning. (Not great for drawing!)

I also find a tablet to be a lot more precise. I really like this comparison: doing art with a mouse is like painting with a bar of soap.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines