Highlighted

Audio latency setting , and why do we have this?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

1) In After Effects, is this audio latency setting being applied to the export only?

2) Why do we have this setting?  Wouldn't the less latency always be best?

3) What is the correct setting and why?  Range selection is 30ms to 500ms.

Thanks for your 1, 2, 3! 

Letty

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio latency setting , and why do we have this?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

1) In After Effects, is this audio latency setting being applied to the export only?

3) What is the correct setting and why?  Range selection is 30ms to 500ms.

Thanks for your 1, 2, 3! 

Letty

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Is this audio latency setting being applied to the export only? 

Ans. No, it is used only while you preview/play the audio in After Effects. 

Ans. Choose a latency value of 200ms, which is a “safe” value for most computers. Latency determines the delay audio experiences as it passes through the computer. Low values result in less delay through the system, whereas high values increase stability. To understand more see this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sCLzzZhdfQ

3) What is the correct setting and why?  The range selection is 30ms to 500ms.

Ans. I hope that answer to Q2 answers this as well. 

Vishu Aggarwal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 1
Enthusiast ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.    that video was a little too difficult for somebody like me.

I'm confused though....  in After Effects, IF the latency is set to 200ms, wouldn't that mean the audio is delayed 2/10th of a second.... 

So why would we need to 'slow down' the audio stream?  

I would think if the sound is having troubles getting out of the computer to your ears, giving it more latency would only make it worse??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF the latency is set to 200ms, wouldn't that mean the audio is delayed 2/10th of a second.... 

Yes

So why would we need to 'slow down' the audio stream?  

Ans. For I/O Buffer Size (ASIO and CoreAudio) or Latency (MME), specify the lowest setting possible without audio dropouts. The ideal setting depends on the speed of your system, so some experimentation is necessary.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html#audio_hardware_preferences

Well, I am using after effects from 10 years and never ever changed the settings of Audio Latency or  I/O Buffer Size because we don't apply a lot of audio effects or do the audio recording in after effects  (and there is no option of recording audio in After Effects). 

You should be worried about latency settings when working with Adobe Audition  

Vishu Aggarwal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cpu is around 3000 and my ram are 3600mhz, what would you set the latency in my system at?

Thanks 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no follow up reply???  😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Adobe has any plan to EVER make AE capable of playing back audio in real time.  I use alot of apps, many of which are not "purposed" for playing audio yet somehow they all manage to be able playback an audio file without hacks.  All except for After Effects.  It's just like whatever, at this point, with After Effcts but still it seems like simple thing to hope for, not to have to playback a 10 second stretch of audio 4 or 5 times in order to figure out if it's a problem with recording or just AE dropping audio frames in order to try and play back at real time.  Really should be embarrassing for Adobe and the team.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 2