Highlighted

Auto Renaming of Solid Color Layers

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of life's annoyances is that After Effects automatically renames every solid layer to it's own name, instead of using the HEX color code that I typed in. I don't see a way to change this in Preferences, is there any way to fix this or will I have to continue renaming every layer manually forever?

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Auto Renaming of Solid Color Layers

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of life's annoyances is that After Effects automatically renames every solid layer to it's own name, instead of using the HEX color code that I typed in. I don't see a way to change this in Preferences, is there any way to fix this or will I have to continue renaming every layer manually forever?

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 30, 2020 0
Guide ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to change this. You have to do it manually or use a script to do so.

Maybe there is a script already available (google is your friend here), or you have to write one on your own.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer names are readable by code. You can point a text layer to a layer name and have it write it out, but you cannot write an expression that renames layers. If you want to have the layer name match the Hex Code of the color then you might be able to do that with a script that sets solid layer colors according to a JSON file when it creates a new layer, but I don't know how you would rename a layer without creating a new one using scripting. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0