Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automate multiple data point moves on a chart

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a client who wants 300 "dots" to move along the Y axis (static X) simultaneously over time. No lines, color changes, etc. Just 300 dots laid out, then all move to a different Y position over a few seconds time.

Haven't quite found what I'm looking for, but I'm pretty sure something like this would be pretty easy using CSV or JSON files - I'm just a complete noob when it comes to that kind of thing. But I'm pretty sure that something is out there that would allow me to automate two different position keyframes for a series of "dots" with values within a spreadsheet.

Appreciate any help! 

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what mJSON, AE's custom motion graphics flavor would do. Difficult to create the actual files, though, since it's not yet a format supported by mainstream data generating apps. If it's really just two keys for each point, you might get by using conventional JSON, though, as long as you define the values in pairs. A simple linear() expression would do the trick then.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm trying to accomplish is the effect you see in the graphs on this page: https://nickchk.com/causalgraphs.html

It looks like this needs something entirely outside of "video software"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't require anything beyond AE, though of course the science nerds use tools like Mathematica, Graph Tool and what have you. Outside that scatter plots are simply just pairs of two-dimensional data. As I said, all you need to do is set up your basic JSON and use simple linear() functions in the form

linear (time,startTime,endTime,startPosition,endposition)

The rest is more a case of formatting the data in Excel so it can be easily retreived and the nodes/ data pairs accessed elegantly. Start by reading the relevant online help sections. It's really not that difficult.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/data-driven-animations.html

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than coding these, you could create most of them with a Test Animator.  Create a text layer using a fonts with a filled circle (Webdings or Option 8 for many Mac fonts), add a Position Animator, enable Random and adjust.  Two keyframes for the Range Selector should take care of the rest.

Some of the other animations leave the dots with their relative distribution.  For those, set one of the dot layers as the Parent layer and all of the Child layers will follow as you animated the Position of the parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines