• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically generate different timeless random numbers on the same layer

Contributor ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want After Effects to automatically generate a different timeless random numbers on each instance of a duplicated layer, I know how to do that by referencing the index. For example:

seedRandom (index, true);
random ()

What I want to do is similar to that, but I need the different random numbers to be generated in duplicated effects on the same layer.

Obviously, using 'index' won't produce different random numbers between the duplicated effects because the layer number will be the same for all instances of the effect. Instead, what I need is some way to either self-reference the effect name/number, or randomly generate a timeless number without specifying a seed. See what I mean?

(For those who want to know why I need this, I'm using a particle plugin called Stardust, and each of the different Stardust effects on the same layer work together in 3D space. If I put any of the elements on a different layer, I will lose the 3D link between them. I need to duplicate a particular effect dozens of times, and I want it to be able to automatically generate a different wiggle for each. I don't want to have to edit the expressions in all of them, partly because I will probably want to go back a few times and make changes to the first instance and then re-duplicate the others. )

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?