Highlighted

Bad performance with high-end GPU

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a pc with 32 GB of RAM, a GTX 1080 Ti and i have pretty low performance in after effects.

For example, the preview is very laggy, the audio is not synchronizing and it takes me 28 minutes to render a basic 1080p 3 minute video.

It is clearly not the graphics card's problem, because in every other app or game i test it i get expected performance.

Maybe you know a setting to tell after effect to use the gpu acceleration or something.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mihai,

What are you trying to do with your video?

Please don't expect playback to be as smooth as an NLE like Premiere Pro. After Effects has to load each frame on the RAM before playback. The architecture of the app is very different from that of NLEs. This article sheds some lights on how to improve performance in After Effects: Improve performance in After Effects

As mentioned above, After Effects doesn't use the GPU that much. Hence, it has nothing to do with the performance of your GPU.

Report back if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Rameez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Bad performance with high-end GPU

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a pc with 32 GB of RAM, a GTX 1080 Ti and i have pretty low performance in after effects.

For example, the preview is very laggy, the audio is not synchronizing and it takes me 28 minutes to render a basic 1080p 3 minute video.

It is clearly not the graphics card's problem, because in every other app or game i test it i get expected performance.

Maybe you know a setting to tell after effect to use the gpu acceleration or something.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mihai,

Please don't expect playback to be as smooth as an NLE like Premiere Pro. After Effects has to load each frame on the RAM before playback. The architecture of the app is very different from that of NLEs. This article sheds some lights on how to improve performance in After Effects: Improve performance in After Effects

As mentioned above, After Effects doesn't use the GPU that much. Hence, it has nothing to do with the performance of your GPU.

Thanks,

Rameez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 02, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has any of that to do with AE? I'm afraid you are jumping to wrong conclusions. AE's GPU usage is very specific and has nothing to do with how those features are used in other programs. And to make matters worse, you have picked a wrong graphics card that is known to not be particulalrly compatible with AE's hardware-accelerated stuff. Sorry, nothing you can do but simply turn those features off and just use CPU-based rendering.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stick to playing games on that machine or get used to very long render times.  You clearly don't know what you're doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community Guidelines:
Be kind and respectful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. We're all here to help each other yes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the entire premise behind coming to a forum like this is that you don't know what you're doing, right? 

Be helpful or move along Dave. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is likely related to your CPU or your application cache.

What CPU and operating system are you using?

What version of after effects?

Where (what kind of drive) is your application cache on?

Is it on your primary drive or a separate drive?

Is your cache full?

Please describe relevant information about the files you're using in your project.

Please answer all questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2019 1
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i Have a i7 8700K, i am using windows 10 home, after effects CC 2019, the app is installed on an 500Gb M.2 SSD  (the primary drive) and my cache is not full. The project i did is a music visualizer, so it included a 3 minute music track, a background image and the visualizer itself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mihai,

Thanks,

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work like that, fine, BUY A NASA computer...

Adobe literally ruined AE...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 2