Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad performance with high-end GPU

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a pc with 32 GB of RAM, a GTX 1080 Ti and i have pretty low performance in after effects.

For example, the preview is very laggy, the audio is not synchronizing and it takes me 28 minutes to render a basic 1080p 3 minute video.

It is clearly not the graphics card's problem, because in every other app or game i test it i get expected performance.

Maybe you know a setting to tell after effect to use the gpu acceleration or something.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Hi Mihai,

What are you trying to do with your video?

Please don't expect playback to be as smooth as an NLE like Premiere Pro. After Effects has to load each frame on the RAM before playback. The architecture of the app is very different from that of NLEs. This article sheds some lights on how to improve performance in After Effects: Improve performance in After Effects

As mentioned above, After Effects doesn't use the GPU that much. Hence, it has nothing to do with the performance of your GPU.

Rep

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is clearly not the graphics card's problem, because in every other app or game i test it i get expected performance.

What has any of that to do with AE? I'm afraid you are jumping to wrong conclusions. AE's GPU usage is very specific and has nothing to do with how those features are used in other programs. And to make matters worse, you have picked a wrong graphics card that is known to not be particulalrly compatible with AE's hardware-accelerated stuff. Sorry, nothing you can do but simply turn those features off and just use CPU-based rendering.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stick to playing games on that machine or get used to very long render times.  You clearly don't know what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community Guidelines:
Be kind and respectful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. We're all here to help each other yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the entire premise behind coming to a forum like this is that you don't know what you're doing, right? 

Be helpful or move along Dave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is likely related to your CPU or your application cache.

What CPU and operating system are you using?

What version of after effects?

Where (what kind of drive) is your application cache on?

Is it on your primary drive or a separate drive?

Is your cache full?

Please describe relevant information about the files you're using in your project.

Please answer all questions.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i Have a i7 8700K, i am using windows 10 home, after effects CC 2019, the app is installed on an 500Gb M.2 SSD  (the primary drive) and my cache is not full. The project i did is a music visualizer, so it included a 3 minute music track, a background image and the visualizer itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mihai,

What are you trying to do with your video?

Please don't expect playback to be as smooth as an NLE like Premiere Pro. After Effects has to load each frame on the RAM before playback. The architecture of the app is very different from that of NLEs. This article sheds some lights on how to improve performance in After Effects: Improve performance in After Effects

As mentioned above, After Effects doesn't use the GPU that much. Hence, it has nothing to do with the performance of your GPU.

Report back if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work like that, fine, BUY A NASA computer...

Adobe literally ruined AE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me help... to works fine, you need shut down AE and open every 5 minutes... so, in this way, works fine.

(people from Adobe receive money to lie in this forum?) AE have a terrible engine... all of us render in real time with another softwares... AE, you ll work for 5 or 6 minutes as well, after, AE just broke all your job...from anywhere (or nowhere)... start get 'low'... no explication. Its not our computer, its this stupidy software engine... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very hi spects, almost brand new Mac mini with 32 gig of RAM and AfterEffects is far the worst application of the whole Adobe suite as regard of performance. Just to give an example, right now I am working with 2 pretty simple masks at the same time, each one with about 15 squares or polygons (very simple shape), one is laggy pretty badly and the other one is mildly lagging. Two similar masks and the performance of each of them is different? Whaaaat? I have only a single layer 5 min. 1080p vido opened, two masks on it, my MAC's hot as if crawling in the desert and everything lags. If I press play, I have roughly one frame per second and the audio is slow and low as a monster. I feel like I am using a computer from 2000. Let's just say this application is not working great at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines