• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banding in exr files.

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having strange banding issues around the boarders of my frames. This attached image is a frame from a render from Maya using Redshift. The issue seems to be with Photoshop and After Effects. I have opened these same exr files in Fusion and Houdini with no banding effects. Even when I render the frames out as a .mov or .mp4 file, the banding is there. Anyone know what the story is with this. I am using the latest nvidia studio drivers along with the lastest version of Ps and Ae. My video card is 2080ti and it is working with no issues. I have had this issue for awhile and was hoping it would go away as Adobe update Ps and Ae.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image isn't there, but on a general note it seems you are totally unaware of things like dithering, color management, including screen calibration, and so on when working with high fidelity files and how it's handled in Adobe apps. Similarly, the same would be true for viewing your outputs outside float enabled programs like Fu or the image viewers of the 3D programs. There's a whgole world of requirements and potential caveats associated with such workflows. So no, it won't go away magigally and has nothing to do with the programs. Without any info about your system, your render settings, the actual value ranges in the files, color profiles/ LUTs used and so on we can't really advise. Start by checking your output ranges in your 3D renderer and how they are normalized - or not.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bandingscreencapture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium,..On general note, I am well aware of linear workflow and floating point images. I can't remember using any other workflow since I have been doing animation and vfx for a few decades now. I am near the end of completing an animation that's 20 minutes long when this issue started. All my previous exr files didn't have this issue until I upgraded to the latest CC 2020 when it was release. The images look fine in Houdini and Fusion but not in Ae or Ps. Yes, it could be the renderer, but that doesn't explain why my images look fine in other compositors.

About my system: 

win 10pro ver2004

i9 9980xe OC 4.6

126 gig ram

(4) 2080ti water cooled

nvidia 451.48 studio drivers

about the images

Renderer: Redshift 3.0.24

exr with no compression

float (32 bit)

storage format scanline

no normalization

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No banding, but decode artifacts, potentially related to GPU-accelerated display functions. Play around with the respective settings both in PS and Ae. Also check your system's graphics settings. You may need to fiddle with things like 10 bit monitor support and similar. Seems to me like the display buffers are simply jumping all over the place due to inconsistent bit-depth math in these areas. Some of the lines are exposed more than others and vice versa. Also try rendering tile-based EXRs to see if it makes a difference.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines