While rendering your After Effects project via Adobe Media Encoder, sometimes you might run into an issue where Adobe Media Encoder opens but the composition isn't added to the queue. Follow the troubleshooting steps given in this article to solve the problem: https://adobe.ly/2VenHZr
If the steps given in the article don't help you, we need to collect dynamic link logs from your computer and share them with the After Effects team. Please follow these steps on your computer and share the log files with any Adobe staffer in the community.
- In After Effects, choose Help > Enable Logging
- Restart After Effects and open your project that exhibits the problem
- Send your composition to Adobe Media Encoder
- After you have successfully replicated the problem, choose Help > Reveal Logging File in After Effects. A bunch of folders will open revealing different kinds of After Effects logs
- Look for the file named "After Effects Log-last.txt"
- Upload the "After Effects Log-last.txt" file to Adobe Creative Cloud and share the URL with us. Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html. Feel free to use any other file-sharing service if you want.
NOTE: Sharing the logs with the After Effects team doesn't assure an immediate fix. In some cases, you may get an immediate resolution while in others, it will help the After Effects team to get to the root of the problem and drive product enhancements.
After Effects 18.1 is now available for download from the Creative Cloud desktop application. This is a bug-fix update and is recommended for all users.
- Fixed an issue that could cause After Effects to crash when copying layers using the Linear Color key.
- Fixed an issue where the right-most column of pixels in a composition preview could display incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a matted layer to be hidden when a GPU-enabled effect was used on a lower layer.
- Fixed an issue that caused a color shift when converting some Illustrator files to shapes.
- Fixed an issue where pressing Escape would not revert the original expression after replacing an expression using the pick whip in the Graph Editor.
- Fixed an issue that caused a pick-whipped expression reference to be inserted at the start of the expression when using the pick whip to replace an expression that is visible in the Graph Editor expression field.
- Fixed an issue with 3D Scene Navigation that caused spring-loaded C and V keys to not work correctly.
- Fixed an issue with 3D Scene Navigation that caused Shift+C and Shift+V to not cycle through the camera tool options and gizmo modes respectively.
- Fixed an issue with 3D Scene Navigation that caused camera tools to not activate when all 3D layers' visibility switches were toggled on/off.
To check out more bug fixes, visit the Fixed Issues page.
How do I update After Effects?
Open the Creative Cloud desktop application and click the Updates tab on the top-left. Find After Effects in the list and click Update.
What should I do if I don't see the update in my Creative Cloud desktop application?
Click Help > Check for Updates from the Creative Cloud desktop application to refresh it.
The After Effects team identified a bug in After Effects 18.0 where the application would crash when closing the Timeline panel. This happens when After Effects is running on an external monitor with multiple timeline windows open. Please note that this bug affects Windows 10 users only.
An immediate patch, After Effects 18.0.1, has been released to address this issue.
I have created a monthly roundup of the top 5 best After Effects tutorials for that month. Below you will see Januarys and Februarys. I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you find them useful.
Top 5 AFTER EFFECTS Tutorials in January 2021
Top 5 AFTER EFFECTS Tutorials in February 2021
It's important to learn After Effects in a structured course before attempting to create things. I liken this to playing the piano. You have to learn the scales and what the notes are before you can learn to play a song.
Here's a great starting point for anyone using After Effects in their work. You should be comfortable with everything in this book before attempting to use it in your work. It's enormously helpful to help you understand the fundamentals of After Effects.
In order to make it easier for our community to work at home, we're taking several measures to minimize disruptions and make connecting with colleagues and clients easier during this time. We're very pleased to announce that all Creative Cloud Individual members can enjoy the benefits of our Team Projects service for Premiere Pro and After Effects at no additional cost.
How does Team Projects benefit me?
Team Projects allows motion graphics artists and editors to collaborate on the same Premiere Pro and After Effects projects while working from home. For detailed information and FAQ, read this blog post: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-offers-team-projects-to-premiere-pro-and-after-effects-users-with-a-creative-cloud-individual-license/
This work at home period also provides us with an opportunity to upskill ourselves. We can utilize this time to learn After Effects and other tools. For new and existing users, this can be a very productive time to go through the After Effects user guide and video tutorials.
After Effects user guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html
After Effects video tutorials: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html
More resources for collaboration and security:
If you know other tools or resources for motion graphics artists that have been made available at a discounted price or for free, share them in the comments below.