Highlighted

Best export settings for a 1:1 sized video file? Issue with iphone playing mp4 video.

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for the best/correct settings for a 1:1 video file export that can be used for both:

1. Playback on iPhone

2. Upload to instagram feed

I make animated album cover art and need them to be square for instagram feed uploads. Up untill now I have always made the video files at 3000x3000 and never had any issues with devices reading the files or instagram uploading them. 

Yesterday I had a client who could not read the file on his iphone. I was wondering if there was something I could do on my end to make sure the files always read on the iphone in future and to fix the problem for him. I believe also that they did not work on his apple laptop.

I will add some attachments below to help with the post.

Another point to add is the file works fine on my android device both during phone playback and instagram upload.

Thanks in advanced.

Alex

Iphone issue

Attachment_1591654720.png

The animation

My export settings on AE

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Best export settings for a 1:1 sized video file? Issue with iphone playing mp4 video.

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for the best/correct settings for a 1:1 video file export that can be used for both:

1. Playback on iPhone

2. Upload to instagram feed

I make animated album cover art and need them to be square for instagram feed uploads. Up untill now I have always made the video files at 3000x3000 and never had any issues with devices reading the files or instagram uploading them. 

Yesterday I had a client who could not read the file on his iphone. I was wondering if there was something I could do on my end to make sure the files always read on the iphone in future and to fix the problem for him. I believe also that they did not work on his apple laptop.

I will add some attachments below to help with the post.

Another point to add is the file works fine on my android device both during phone playback and instagram upload.

Thanks in advanced.

Alex

Iphone issue

Attachment_1591654720.png

The animation

My export settings on AE

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3000 X 3000 does not match any standard frame size for h.264 or any other kind of video. Why did you pick that frame size?

Change the comp to a standard frame size like 1920 X 1080. Unless you are rendering for a specific output device designed to playback odd frame sizes you should never create a comp that does not fit one of the standards. If you do pick a nonstandard frame size you should be matching the specifications of the playback software. The iPhone will not play it back because it doesn't know what to do with it. You have not even shown us how AE is interpreting the file by importing it into AE and selecting the video in the Project panel so we can see the specifications. In the future please embed your screenshots using the toolbar on the forum. It's a real pain to download then open the images, especially when downloads should all be scanned for viruses.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I have adjusted my post to make it more clear. I hope that gives you a better understandering of where I am at. Again thanks for the response appreciate your time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3000 X 3000 is not mentioned in any guide I can find for Instagram Video uploads. Instagram is going to recompress the files anyway and as far as I can tell the maximum frame size recommendation is 1080 pixels wide and the maximum file size is 4 GB. I have a utility that can download Instagram videos and the biggest one I ever got was 640 pixels wide and high. Sending a 3000 X 3000 video to Instagram is not going to gain you anything because all streaming services recompress the videos and they farther they are away from the standards the bigger hammer they use. Unless you can find some documentation that tells you that you should be sending Instagram videos that are that size you are wasting bandwidth and time working at that frame size.

If the video plays on your computer, but it doesn't play on the iPhone when you somehow get it there, then the problem is most likely in the way you are getting it to the phone and how you are trying to play it back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
AlexABAG LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0