Highlighted

Best way to create a moving person with just their outlines

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I want to have a dancing person. What's visible of this person are just the outlines of major bodyparts (like hands, top and bottom of arms and legs, head, torso and feet (kind of like this here, but much more simple),

Now, i've made a template, in which i cut several clips together of real people dancing and it's 5 minutes long.

As you can see, this would be too much work, to draw the outlines frame by frame. I also thought about creating the bodyparts as shapes (in illustrator or after effects..) and move them as keyframes like the person in the video.

My question ist now: Do you know any efficient way to do this? It could be additional plugins, or not even After Effects... But something i'm not sitting the next 100 hours doing.

Thanks for your help 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Best way to create a moving person with just their outlines

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I want to have a dancing person. What's visible of this person are just the outlines of major bodyparts (like hands, top and bottom of arms and legs, head, torso and feet (kind of like this here, but much more simple),

Now, i've made a template, in which i cut several clips together of real people dancing and it's 5 minutes long.

As you can see, this would be too much work, to draw the outlines frame by frame. I also thought about creating the bodyparts as shapes (in illustrator or after effects..) and move them as keyframes like the person in the video.

My question ist now: Do you know any efficient way to do this? It could be additional plugins, or not even After Effects... But something i'm not sitting the next 100 hours doing.

Thanks for your help 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless it was shot specifically against a green screen or something like that with proper lighting there can be no lazy man's way of doing this, especially if it's from different sources. So as much as you may not like it, you are facing a lot of tedious, repetitive work no regardless what technique you use. If you can provide screenshots of the relevant segments I'm sure we can advise more specifically, but it's easily going to be a 100+ hours job one way or the other, most likely.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this would involve a ton of roto if you haven't shot the footage with this effect in mind. If you do decide to roto it, I'd highly recommend using Mocha to do it -  it can track splines, which will greatly speed up the process.
The only other way might be to use edge detect filters, like the old Cartoon Edges effect. Though the results of that won't ever look really great, you might get somewhere in the ballpark of the look you need if you crush the levels enough (and maybe add some glow after)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, ok. So when I'm facing this much hours, small changes to the approach of doing this can make a massive improvement. I could for example learn how to dance myself and film me. I could learn a new software (for example 3D Animation software)... This is why i'm asking ;). So what possibilities come into your mind to approach this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a similar effect in a music video called "Eye of the storm" -  there's a making of video here, which shows how they did it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-WJxkE2ks

Musical artist Lovett, director Christopher Alender, and producer Kris Eber give an in-depth behind the scenes look at their epic steampunk fantasy "Eye of the ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character animation in 3D is not a cakewalk, either. Before you're getting anywhere close to realistic movements, you spend at least a year learning stuff and well, it doesn't solve your problem in the long run most likely with regards to production turnarounds or carrying over your artistic expression. You'd spend more time as an animator than actually dancing or producing other things. @dsol21's making-of video is a good place to start and gives you plenty of food for thought and developing a workable strategy, so consider this approach and educate yourself about the individual steps liek the actual greenscreen setup for shooting, keying in AE, manipulating channels and color corrections in AE to extract the line patterns, 2D and 3D tracking to add further elements matching the scene and so on...

Mylenium 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1