Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black Background on Lightning

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to begin by saying I'm a complete beginner to after effects.

I am trying to put some lightning on a short video I have, but every time I drag the lightning effect into my composition, the lightning comes with a black background and my video is then blocked.

Typically, if I go in this exact order, it reacts correctly:

Import video, add lightning effect (effect blocks the video with black background), add the video again, shift the layer down, then the lightning is correct in front of my video and doesn't have a black background.

However, a few times then I've accidentally clicked the "enter" key and then it made the black background come back and I have to start all over from the beginning. Clicking it again doesn't fix it.

I have done google searches on removing the black background and I just get tutorials on what appears to be making your own effects from other videos and removing the black backgrounds, but I'm just trying to get rid of this one that keeps appearing with the stock lightning effect.

It happens both with animation>synthetics>lightning vertical as well as generate>advanced lightning.

This is the tutorial I was trying to follow and you can see that this guy gets the black background to drop in when he does it, but he also isn't laying it on a pre-existing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWnogMnNh6Q

The first attachment is what happens when I drop a lightning effect onto my video and the black background blocks it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This second image is what happens when I import the video, drop the effect, and reimport the video again, you can see in the bottom left where it says there are 2 instances of the mp4.

This image looks tiny... so if I did it wrong, please tell me how to make it bigger.

correctcorrect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines