• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black screen after applying Chromatic Displacement!

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone knows how to fix this problem, share the solution!

I did everything according to the instructions, created Solid on which there were displacements, turned it off and put it under the video. I applied Chromatic Displacement on the video, I chose to read offsets with Solid, but after that the black screen just doesn’t help! The video is not visible and the effects too!

Tried through Adjustment Layer, same thing!

I would be grateful to everyone who knows how to fix it! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

In my case this was caused by something in After Effects' preferences. I'm not 100% sure what actually fixed it as I was digging through and testing any available toggles, and I'm not sure which one actually had an impact - something related to previews or acceleration I think. Didn't make any changes to my video card drivers or settings so that definitely wasn't my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a uniformely colored solid as an input map even supposed to do? 

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you replaced the light blue solid with a shape layer filled with a multi-colored gradient, applied Chromatic Displacement to the Shape layer, and selected the image as the source you would have some color values in the source file you could use to displace the pixels in the Shape Layer gradient. If the shape layer was a solid color there would be no pixels to move around. The other option would be to just apply Chromatic Displacement to the image Use the image as the source, and crank up the Displace amount. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exacte same issue here when following the tutorial :GETTING STARTED WITH VFX CHROMATIC DISPLACEMENT. Did you manage to make it work?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the tutorial you are having problems with? 

Selecting Mask and Effects is critical if you have any effect applied to the layer you want to use as the source for the displacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's the one.
I did Select the mask and Effects. Same result black screen. Then i've tried applying the chromatic displacement on the image itself an cranking up the Displace amount, same thing black screen. I'm now wondering if this is due to the fact that i'm using a trial version but all the other plugins in the RG VFX suite are working fine, I'm puzzled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The VFX suite is GPU driven. Try changing the settings in the Project Panel. Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + Alt/Option + k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make any discoveries with this? Just added the VFX Suite to my collection and notice I get the same black screen with any of these Effects, Chromatic Displacement included. Comp screen goes black immediately after adding any of the Effects, without adjusting any properties. Have played with all kinds of Project Settings, bit depths, software/hardware acceleration, changed my Monitor from SDR to HDR and back, all to no avail. No problems with any other Effects, Red Giant or otherwise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this resolved? I've been hunting for a resolution for hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case this was caused by something in After Effects' preferences. I'm not 100% sure what actually fixed it as I was digging through and testing any available toggles, and I'm not sure which one actually had an impact - something related to previews or acceleration I think. Didn't make any changes to my video card drivers or settings so that definitely wasn't my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @diakomichalis ! I tried everything you listed and it ended up working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate, did you solve your problem? I'm having the same black screen here with rtx 2070 super... I couldn't understand if it is a GPU or an onboard common error 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seemed to be an issue with after effects registering my other graphics card. Because I am using a laptop, I had to change all of my Nvidia settings to direct to my 3D graphics card (Nvidia) but sometimes it would cause a black error as it was using my default Intel. 

Even after changing, I still had some issues. I disabled my intel and it would work, then enabling it again helped it to work but it would crash further down the line. 

After changing the projects I was working on and coming back to it, it eventually worked again for me having pointed after effects and nvidia to specifically use my 3D card. 

Update all your cards

update your system 

restart and check 

change nvidia settings to apply specific card 

change display settings to focus apps to specific card.

I hope it works for you, you can get in touch with Red Giant too as they're super helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I had the same problem, too. After some efforts, I found the solution.
The problem is caused by the Video card. if your graphics card is out of date, update it. If your graphics card is up to date, upgrade it to previous versions. and the problem will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my day. I had been trying to reinstall back and forth the VFX pack but can not solve and I even checked my graphic card it was up-to-day but I couldn't solve even though switching between gaming version and the studio one. Then I tried to update my on board graphic card, things turned out it was the problem and then problem solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello have the same problem, could u explain better the way u solve it pls, also i hve the problem with supercomp which is empty when i apply it (i mean the supercomp panel is just on white). also i have to say i cant effort to pay the original license :c am just a student 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate, did you solve your problem? I'm having the same black screen here with rtx 2070 super... I couldn't understand if it is a GPU or an onboard common error 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same issue here... I also have a rtx 2070, did you manage to solve this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friend, unfortunately not yet

still having same problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you figure it out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i tried to update both of my drivers and even factory resseting but VFX suite is still not working can you please explain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, it's so frustrating. VFX suite works fine for me except for Chromatic Displacement. The Red Giant team told me I have an inadequate CPU for my RTX2070 but it's among the best compatibilty wise.... Can someone please explain ?????????? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines