• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending modes don't work in AE layer styles

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the blending modes inside of after effects layer styles are not working at all... and this is a huge bug introduced with the 2019 version of AE... FIX!!!YkO2lqSw.jpgZlbyjnvO.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That have to be you. In AE 2019 (16) and any other it works as it shouldoverlay.gif

So ... give us some specs then maby we will be able to specify what is goning on with your composition/AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly is a bug that 2019 has... and I'm trying to get them to fix it but is like they are waiting for something or other... the way you're showing is exactly the way it has worked in the past and is not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what I showed you was made 30 minutes ago by me in AE 2019 (16.0.0) so it works and it should work for you. And that is why I've asked about your specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMAC 2017 32GB of RAM.. Mojave OSX... latest version of AE 2019...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO is not me... is the program, I thought you meant it was AE 2019...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I said You I meant your specs, your setup, maby some issues with GPU drivers or anything like that - not specially You as a person
We know that AE 2019 is little bit buggy on some computers so that was why I asked about your specs.

And If you use Mojave ... that can be the issue... nevest AE does not like that OSX version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there you go, that's probably what it is... Mojave and AE2019... time for Adobe to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the problem OSX 10.14.4, 2017 MacBook Pro 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows so I'm not able to check that issue on mojave but I've checked bugreorts/request list of with mojave and I can't find that kind of issue so maby that is not exactly Mojave's issue.
But if JuanSantizo710 you are sure that is a bug not one time issue with your setup - go there: After Effects: Hot (1087 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps  and report it - I'm sure that Adobe team will check that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's all great for you guys but it doesn't work for me and I've been working with AE for over 25 years so please don't come saying is not the computer or the software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess any of us did not said that. We are just saying that Rick Gerard could not recreate your issue and any of us did not found that issue on any forums that is why we can only:
- send you to any standard steps (preference reset, going to previous version of AE, reinstal, gpu drivers update etc.)
- ask you to submit bug report

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked... reseting the preferences file worked out... ok good.. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. Glad that I could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, resetting the setting or updating was not the solution. The problem lies with person own understanding. He showed photoshop screenshot where is "gradient overlay" & he was applying "overlay blending mode" in AE. Infact black & white overlay blending mode doesn't do anything even in photoshop because of its nature.

He got confused by the layer style name "gradient overlay".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YkO2lqSw.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ZlbyjnvO.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party, but just stumbled on this myself.

I can recreate the problem when I switch to 32bit mode. 8bit and 16bit are fine.

Looks like a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also late to the party, but it seems like I do have the same problem as @JuanSantizo710

I use AE 2021 tho, but the blending mode do not work. I use macOS Big Sur. 
When I try to change the blending mode of a shape (for example), it just stays the same, like it is on a normal blending mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 

same problem with my version of AE 2021, blending mode not working anymore, I am compositing some render passes for a video and just realized the blending are not adding anything to my comp, any suggestion about how to fix it?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it to late to aswer this? I just figure out. The problem is the color bit depth. Your project is probably working in 32bit. Go to > File/Project settings.  In the color tab change to 8 or 16 bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware the problem only occurs in 32bit, as I said. Are you saying blend modes aren't supposed to work in 32bit? That's really weird and awkward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem happens to me whether I'm on 8, 16, or 32 bit. Blending mode for everything else works fine. But the second I change blending mode for layer styles specifically it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines