Highlighted

C4D renderer and shadow issue

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the C4D renderer in a pure AE project for the first time but having an issue with the shadow generation (see image). The shadow doesn't extend up to the edge of the casting layer. In this example, it's two simple solids in 3D space with a single light source (I've tried point, spot and parallel - all have this issue). I've tried on two completely different systems with totally different hardware and updated graphics card drivers. I'm running AE 17.1.4 (have also tried 17.1.3).

Is this behaviour by design (for some weird reason)? It makes the use of shadows impossible where any layers intersect or are close to each other as it just isn't right and doesn't look right.

Thanks,

Paul.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

C4D renderer and shadow issue

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the C4D renderer in a pure AE project for the first time but having an issue with the shadow generation (see image). The shadow doesn't extend up to the edge of the casting layer. In this example, it's two simple solids in 3D space with a single light source (I've tried point, spot and parallel - all have this issue). I've tried on two completely different systems with totally different hardware and updated graphics card drivers. I'm running AE 17.1.4 (have also tried 17.1.3).

Is this behaviour by design (for some weird reason)? It makes the use of shadows impossible where any layers intersect or are close to each other as it just isn't right and doesn't look right.

Thanks,

Paul.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has never been any different even with AE's native 3D renderer. As soon as your shadows have even a hint of softness, the underlying "infinite plane" rendering algorithm amplifies this endlessly due to the rather unsophisticated filtering methods and antialiasig. If water-tightness is really a concern, you need to create actual geometry in C4D and integrate it via Cineware.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched back to the classic renderer this afternoon and didn’t get that problem - the shadows are good right up to the intersection. I like the features of the C4D renderer but will be very cautious using it for shadows I think. The current batch of animations I’m working on are very time limited so setting up in C4D takes too much time unfortunately. I’m only an occasional C4D user, so work much quicker in AE (sometimes using Element 3D).

Paul.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0