Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

C4D Renderer + Gradients = Impossible?

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am about to animate an isometric scene with lots of gradients. But when using C4D Renderer, all the gradients on the 3D object are disabled. OK then. I tried a few cheats to bypass this inconvenience, but I achieved nothing.

So I am asking — is there any chance to get gradients on the stage except of some sort of complicated light setup to mimic the design made in Illustrator? (No option to limit light just for one object in the scene as in C4D.)

Sure, I can switch to Classic 3D and give up the opportunity to extrude the objects (which is the only reason I shifted to C4D Renderer ), but this is the last option I want to fall in.

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try nesting the Cinema 4D Renderer Comp in a classic 3d comp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohammad,

Precomping is the way I am trying right now, but as soon as you overcome one obstacle, another two raises…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients are not supported with the C4D rendering engine. You can't even export a Classic 3D comp as a Maxon C4D file and have the gradients end up in the C4D file. If you need gradients on your extruded layers you will have to set up your 3D scene using the Classic 3D rendering engine, export the Comp as a Maxon C4D file, import the file and add it to the timeline, then open up C4D lite and add gradient textures to the materials. You will end up with a lot more options and a better extrusion, and a little faster render times. That's the way I would do it. Then, if you choose Centered Comp Camera you can still fly all around your scene in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick for your advice. Will try…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A suggestion for anyone wanting gradients in their c4d renderer comps:
You could always make the gradient in Illustrator and import it as a 2D illustrator layer in your comp. Then you can parent and matte it to the 3D geometry you want to show the gradient.

Going farther, you could probably use a 2D distortion effect like corner pin and use toComp expressions on some nulls to track the perspective of the 3D object if that would help, but that's a whole other subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines