Highlighted

Caching does not seem to work

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working with a 1 hour audio file and when I try playing my edit it slows down or speeds up and I've read that it's because AE needs to cache the file before playing it smoothly.

I have checked the "Cache before Playback" box but it doesn't seem to work, I have worked on other edits in there for 2 hours and I still have the audio issue.

Do I need to activate anything else to make AE play my edit smoothly ?

Thank you

TOPICS
Audio, Freeze or hang, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Caching does not seem to work

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am working with a 1 hour audio file and when I try playing my edit it slows down or speeds up and I've read that it's because AE needs to cache the file before playing it smoothly.

I have checked the "Cache before Playback" box but it doesn't seem to work, I have worked on other edits in there for 2 hours and I still have the audio issue.

Do I need to activate anything else to make AE play my edit smoothly ?

Thank you

TOPICS
Audio, Freeze or hang, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 11, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a typical beginners misunderstanding of how AE caching works. 

Only the parts in your timeline with a green bar above will play in realtime and you always have to prerender before watching. If yu change something, you have to prerender again.

Also, caching 1 hour material won't work - unless you have some terabytes of RAM. Depending on your work an installed memory, a cache of some seconds to a few minutes is realistic.

If you work on such a long composition, split it into smaller pieces. You can always precomp.

And often it's more efficient to create footage with AE, export it and edit it in Premiere.

AE works best on very short shots.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Martin,

Yes I am a complete beginner to AE so I'm probably misunderstanding a lot of things.

What should I do then, I am adding an audio visualizer to that 1 hour long soundtrack, is there a way for me to get it done without using the cache ?

I don't really care about watching the result so verifying 1 hour of footage is not in my to-do list, I would like to just add my audio spectrum and then move it to Premiere Pro for my final edit, is there an efficient way to do that ?

Thanks for the help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can export your project as a video file using the render queue or the adobe media encoder, then use this video file inside premiere pro, or you can use the dynamic link، where you can import your AE composition directly inside premiere pro (check file/ dynamic link)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it render correctly if I it does not "prerender" before ? If I just put my effect in the timeline and put it in the render queue and/or link it to Premiere Pro (I will have to learn that but that sounds very useful and not complicated) ?

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you don't have to verify the result - this will save you a lot of time and headache.

Especially those audio visulizers take forever to render.

The best approch is to export the video as image sequence and import it into PR. Image sequence is preferable, because you don't loose any progress when AE or your Computer crashes.

Don't use Dynamic Link for such a thing! PR will stuck on every frame, because it needs to render and editing will be impossible.

Prepare for a very long rendering time. I once spend two weeks for 6 minutes of audio visualisation, just as an example. Yours might export faster, or takes even longer - depends on your visuals.

What do you mean by "if it does not "prerender" before"?

The export will work, even if you cannot cache everything. The cache is just for preview, while rendering, AE write the final data to disk, while cache, AE writes those data mainly into RAM. And there is the limitation.

However, if you ran into the situation that a frame could not be previewed at all, you have to solve this before rendering.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to learn how to do and try the image sequence export - I'm guessing this won't include the audio but this is not an issue I can just put the audio in Premiere since I have no edit on it -

This sound scary about the export time, my computer has decent power and I don't have a lot of edits but this seems like it will take a long time still, I will check it out.

The prerender I was talking about was the cache, but indeed you're right I can bypass it and won't even need it if I don' thave to review the footage.

Thank you for the advice !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering times are hard to estimate.

I just wanted to illustrate that it might take a while. Don't be scared, just start the rendering and see, how it's going.

Many professional users are working with a render manager, to improve rendering time. You might want to have a look at RenderGarden, RenderBoss and BG Renderer. Maybe there is a time limited full demo you can take advantage of for this job.

You can also learn about aerender.exe (google it) and write your own small line command to lauch it. This is what the rendermanagers are doing: launching aerender several time in order to let AE render frames in parallel.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 1