Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not view any footage in After Effects 2020

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently installed AE 2020 to edit some of my old family videos.

First I could not import any .avi files, but solved the problem by installing new codecs.

But now, after creating a project, I tried to import any kind of file (e.g. .avi, .jpeg, .ai, .mp4) and I always have a black screen, the footage just doesn't show.

Also, when creating a new composition, it's simply not there. I can click on it, but it says "New Composition" or "Composition from Footage".

I have been working with AE at work and have never come across this odd behaviour before.

Can anyone help? Here some computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64

8GB RAM

AMD FX 6300 six-core processor@3.5GHz

AMD Radeon R7 200 series

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

re: installing 2019 - In your Creative Cloud app, "All Apps" area, where you'd go to install or update... each app has a 3-dot menu with an option for "Other Versions."

---------------------

Those are both totally possible in Premiere, yes! Unless you're doing something advanced that requires the kind of horsepower AE has, I would just keep these in Premiere. 

In Premiere, every clip will have Motion properties available in Effect Controls, which you can use to adjust Scale, or if you're just up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to check:

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Reset After Effects Preferences
  1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting.
  2. A dialog box launches asking you if you want to delete your preferences file. Click OK.
  3. To also restore default keyboard shortcuts, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the OK button.

Are your video drivers up to date?

Do you have AE 2019 installed? If so, are you seeing the same issue there?

Did this specific problem appear immediately after installing those other codecs? If so, that seems like the new variable to try to eliminate. (i.e. try uninstalling those.)

Lastly, perhaps I'm misinterpreting something in your question, but ... After Effects is not a video editor. While it's technically possible to edit videos in here, it's intended for compositing, effects, and motion design. I would 100% recommend using Premiere if editing is your primary goal. Your project will go so much more smoothly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kyle_Hamrick!

I resetted the preferences. My video drivers seem up to date. Unfortunately, my hardware is more than six years old, that might explain why not everything works properly.

Is there a way to install AE 2019? I can not see it in the CC Desktop.

Fortunately,  I can open my videos in Premiere. My main goal is to enhance brightness or resize the whole video (they are pretty old, from around 1988). Is that possible with Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: installing 2019 - In your Creative Cloud app, "All Apps" area, where you'd go to install or update... each app has a 3-dot menu with an option for "Other Versions."

---------------------

Those are both totally possible in Premiere, yes! Unless you're doing something advanced that requires the kind of horsepower AE has, I would just keep these in Premiere. 

In Premiere, every clip will have Motion properties available in Effect Controls, which you can use to adjust Scale, or if you're just upscaling to a specific frame size, create a timeline with the desired dimensions, right-click your clip after adding it, and choose "Set to Frame Size."

There are various color-correction effects that might be appropriate for increasing brightness, but you'll get the most control from Lumetri. The easiest way to work with it is just by switching to the Color workspace, which should bring up the Lumetri panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot! I will use Premiere for my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines