• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Adjust the layer in Comp View

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loooked for the solution pretty much everywhere but can't seem to find it, maybe I'm not adressing the issue correctly but in the Comp view i enabled the bounding box feature but I can't seem to resize the element, and yes the layer is 3d. I was actually following a tutorial and the guy did it there quite easily but I can't seem to scale or do anything. How do I solve this issue? Maybe I'm missing out on something very basic. Thank Youu :))

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By resize, do you mean scale a layer by dragging? Are you new to AE? Do you have the Selection Tool (v) selected? What tutorial are you following? A lot of them are very poorly explained and the workflows presented ofter range from inefficient to just plain wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, 

https://youtu.be/3Igxr6v-iNA

So basically this is the tutorial that i'm following. I downloaded all these elements and I'm using it on After Effects 19. When u jump at about 19:10th instant you can see he easily rescales it and moves it around. Mine doesn't do anything when i try to resize it or anything such? Its been over 6 hours and this is part is quite important. I really appreciate the helpp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good example of a mediocre tutorial I would give the tutorial a C and the workflow and explanation a D. There is absolutely no explanation of how any of the animations are created or what does what, he only explains how to use change values and names and positions of elements that are controlled by expressions. Learning how to use the template with this tutorial tells you nothing at all about how After Effects works. If you purchased the template then you are stuck trying to use his workflow.

Let's move on to your problem. At about 20 minutes into the tutorial, he explains how to move a layer into position. The copy and paste the position can be replaced with a much more efficient workflow of holding down the Shift Key and parenting the layer you want to move to the layer you want to match. It takes about 2 seconds and is always accurate - the anchor points (position) will be right on top of each other.

I think you are getting the layer into position correctly. If that is the case and all you want to do is move it, and you have selected the selection tool (v), and you can see the layer controls and they look like the ones in the video, but you cannot select or move the layer then here's how you troubleshoot the problem. With the layer selected in the timeline press "p" to reveal the position property and click and drag the X or Y value to see if the layer moves. If it does not then something is locking the layer. Press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties and look for anything that might be controlling position or anchor point like an expression. Start turning things off. 

If all else fails select all layers in the comp and lock them, then unlock just the layer you want to move and see if anything happens when you drag the positon values around. If you can move the layer by dragging position or anchor point values around, and the layer controls are visible in the comp panel then you should be able to click on the Anchor Point with the Selection tool and move the layer around. If you need to scale the layer you should be able to drag the Scale values in the timeline or click and drag on any layer boundary control in the Comp panel.

Let me know how it goes. Until you diagnose the problem by revealing all modified properties of the layer and running these tests I can't be of much help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Locking everything else worked!! Thank you so muchh :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines