Highlighted

Can't edit path

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating a few variations of this shape at different key-frames, now for some reason I can't go into edit path mode. I don't know why, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason. The curve points appear, but clicking them doesn't affect anything.

Thank you for your help 🙂

https://youtu.be/jHObq55g0mQ

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't edit path

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After creating a few variations of this shape at different key-frames, now for some reason I can't go into edit path mode. I don't know why, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason. The curve points appear, but clicking them doesn't affect anything.

Thank you for your help 🙂

https://youtu.be/jHObq55g0mQ

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you have a path shape expression, do you not? It may simply ovveride/ block your editing operations. Turn it off.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thanks, that did it. I had no idea expressions could block path deformations

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the selection tool (v) to edit a path you must have the Path selected in the timeline. You have Group 1 selected so moving the entire shape makes perfect sense. 

You can also try changing to the pen tool (g) and using the Alt/Option or Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the behavior of the points you edit. I am always switching back and forth between the selection tool and the pen tool when editing a vector path or a motion path. It gives you a lot more options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true that in the video I selected the shape using control + click, but I did already try selecting the path in the drop-down menu and it didn't change the fact. 

I'll keep in mind using the alt tool combined with pen tool next time. Thanks 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, for clarification sake. Pen tool doesn't work either. The expression really needs to be disabled

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice the expression in your video. Any time you add an expression to a property it disables editing unless there is a way to get a value + operator into the expression. Every time I have tried adding any kind of value + to an expression on a vector path it throws an error. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0