Highlighted

Can't import simple CSV file to AE

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error, no matter what flavor of CSV export I choose from Excel:

"Conversion to MGJSON using converter Comma Delimited Value with id com.adobe.sensor.csv failed"

File is dirt simple, 8 rows and 8 columns of made-up integer data ("temperatures" in various cities), with header row and columns. Screenshot at bottom, file available at

data_test1.csv - Google Drive

data_test_1_screenshot.PNG

Thanks for any help, I thought this was going to be simple, but AE is not cooperating!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Your format is not correct. There are quite a few examples in the User Guide. I would start my search for a solution there. I would also always check your CSV file in a text editor.  The only thing that jumps right out at me is that the top left cell is empty. I don't have time to check and see if that is the problem but I think it could be causing the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't import simple CSV file to AE

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error, no matter what flavor of CSV export I choose from Excel:

"Conversion to MGJSON using converter Comma Delimited Value with id com.adobe.sensor.csv failed"

File is dirt simple, 8 rows and 8 columns of made-up integer data ("temperatures" in various cities), with header row and columns. Screenshot at bottom, file available at

data_test1.csv - Google Drive

data_test_1_screenshot.PNG

Thanks for any help, I thought this was going to be simple, but AE is not cooperating!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Your format is not correct. There are quite a few examples in the User Guide. I would start my search for a solution there. I would also always check your CSV file in a text editor.  The only thing that jumps right out at me is that the top left cell is empty. I don't have time to check and see if that is the problem but I think it could be causing the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 30, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That was it. The empty cell at [0, 0] threw it off...in the text editor the first entry was just blank, but it had a comma following, so that was the first thing AE encountered. I put "Hi" in [0, 0] and everything worked fine.

Looks like the best format is to have a bunch of 1D arrays, one in each column, with a header row as a label and the data going down. This is easily readable in the AE data layers once you import.

Also, if I Save As .csv from Excel, then make any more edits to it in Excel (while it's a .csv), then AE won't open it. I have to make the changes in the .xlsx and Save As the .csv again. Not sure why it doesn't work...that was throwing me off.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, folks! I just bumped into this thread and felt like sharing with you that there´s a second reason why a csv couldnt be imported into AE18 but ok on AE20. Thats the ''comma'' factor. Ive been downloading covid data tables from github, and sometimes i need to import it on AE18 (i work with a team on diff versions). But this those csv cant be imported on AE18, but ok on 20. First cell filled as it should be, but theres an invisible reason : the commas. Not string commas, but the array keys commas in the raw documento.  Luckily i use google sheets, and when i save a table from there, no more commas. Thats google sheets treat. Another quick solution is to save as tsv table.  No commas. But its not a ''comma'' issue, i guess..the error mensage give us a hint.  Anyway, if you´re on AE 20 - no problem at all. I still do the google sheet import / export as  a 'play it safe' rule. I still dont know the reason exactly. Thanks for sharing, guys! Take care.

original csv from github - looking goodoriginal csv from github - looking good

The error when importing original csv on AE18.The error when importing original csv on AE18.

import on google sheets -  save it, and it works.import on google sheets - save it, and it works.

Look: google sheets got rid of those commas. Original csv on the right.Look: google sheets got rid of those commas. Original csv on the right.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020 0