Can't move videos/keyframes in After Effects. Help?

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

I've recently purchased After Effects CC 2019 for my Mac and I'm completely new to the program, and I'm having a few issues with it. I've been watching some tutorials and I see that everyone's able to drag clips/keyframes easily along the timeline, but whenever I try that on my project, it's like they're frozen. I can move them using brackets—[]—but that's all, and it's getting really annoying to do. Even trying to use the little arrows beside the clips to shrink them/make them longer and all of that doesn't work. I'm not sure what's going on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Click somewhere along the clip and drag from there (four little lines appear showing you can drag it). When you place your cursor over the very beginning or end of the clip a double sided arrow appears showing you can shorten (or lengthen) the footage.

AE is not an intuitive program so I would strongly suggest that you look at some basics tutorials before trying to dive in or you'll end up driving yourself crazy.

These are great:

After Effects basics tutorials by Andrew Devis

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heartily agree with Towerguy -- learn the basics!

Ever use a video editing application?   Learning how is like learning to drive the family car.  Learning After Effects?  That's like learning how to fly an F-22 Raptor for combat missions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but an F-22 that crashes and kills the ground crew. The steps the original poster is describing are very simple. After Effects is garbage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Garbage?  How so?

This issue is most likely a user error.  It happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was a little harsh. Deadline is looming and all. I assume that Adobe is trying to keep your files from being deleted when it "ghosts" the frame after you cut it. Moving the edge of the remaining clip would seem to intuitively lengthen the length of the clip you've selected, but instead it restores the seemingly clipped frames of the clip. I want to cut frames, and throw them on the cutting room floor. Why so hard?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I you are not able to move and select your keyframe may your layer is locked so be sure it's not locked

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.26.11 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mariat,

Thanks for reaching out and choosing After Effects. As @OussK suggested, you may have locked your layer that prevents it from being edited. If you have tried that and it still does not work, then please test this with a new composition.

Also, you may go ahead and make all the settings default by resetting the preferences: Reset After Effects Preferences | Welcome to kevinmonahan.net

Let us know if any of the above works. We're here to help

Thanks,

Shivangi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I've encountered a similar issue with moving keyframes.  Often, I cannot drag or select a keyframe on the timeline.

As an example, if there are two keyframes where an object moves from point A to B, most often I cannot select the B keyframe alone.  If I want to move it, I have to drag-select BOTH keyframes, then I can move them together, often moving keyframe A to the proper distance from B, then shifting both to where they need to be on the timeline.  I am not a novice, nothing is locked, and this is pretty basic usage.  This is some kind of new behavior caused by a recent update. 

Thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a keyframe is highlighted it should be able to be selected and dragged up or down the timeline. An easy way to select a single keyframe is to drag a selection around the keyframe or use the next or previous keyframe selectors in the AV Features column in the timeline. It's usually right next to the Label column but it can be moved.

Screenshot_2019-04-07 11.55.25_Nlkkq0.png

If you have multiple keyframes selected and you click and drag they should all move together. If you have more than two keyframes and you hold down the Alt/Option key and click and drag the first of last keyframe the time between all keyframes will proportionally change.

If your timeline is not working this way then I suggest that you restart AE holding down on Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd and reset your preferences. If you have customized anything then you'll have to do it over again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's started happening for me lately, as well. It appears to happen mostly to the last keyframe in a series. I find if you add another keyframe, then delete it, this frees up the stuck one. But it's clearly a new bug. Don't expect Adobe to admit this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm having the same issue. I have been using AE for nearly 10 years. This is a new issue. No layers are locked and yet highlighted keyframes are locked in position, unable to drag them left or right. The only way around it is to delete the keframe and recreate it in another position. This is a huge issue with Time Remapping, it has rendered it unusable. The only thing I can suggest is reinstalling an older version prior to AE 2021.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pailie,

Can you list the steps that lead up to not being able to nudge keyframes?

It also helps to know your exact OS version and AE version (so, it is 17.5 or 17.1.2).

-Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the response, I'm not familiar with the Adobe User Voice Page (I am interested to know what it is), I was just desperated to resolve my issue before a deadline 🙂 I managed to over-come the issue when I rolled the AE 17.5 back to 7.1 - I just went back to an old enough version to get it working again 😉

Once I fixed the AE project I was able to then update again back to AE 17.5 and it all worked. As a side note, I hadn't changed any of my preferences, but I have since reset them all after fixing the issue. It was definitely a weird anomoly.

By the way, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit with latest updates.

Hope that's enough info for you. 

Paul

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to try to recreate the same steps to see if I could reproduce the keyframes being stuck.  

Here's the link to the Adobe Video User Voice:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

After you post your issue (which probably is a bug that could get resolved in an update), take some time to check some of the other posts.  In addition to bugs, it also includes feature requests.  Requests his a high amount of votes stand the best chances of getting adopted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the After Effects team wants to know about it.

Have you used the Adobe user-voice page for AE to submit it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mariat,

Were you able to resolve this problem?

Let us know.

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time use and have recently started encountering OP's issue. I've confirmed my layer (an .mp4 clip in a standard 1080p comp) is unlocked, but after adding keyframes to the clip (of any property -- in my specific case, it's Pos, Scale and Time Remap), I can't move them in the timeline. I can't select them by clicking on them directly, but I can select them with the selection lasso. When I try to slide them forward or backward in the timeline, they don't move. The value of the keyframe is changeable. If I create a new keyframe, I CAN move that for a couple of seconds, and then it locks itself. The layer itself can be moved. Keyframes on other layers in the same comp can be manipulated without issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updating to say: this only seemed to be an issue only for a specific piece of h264 .mp4 media I was using. Images and other layers did not have this problem. Putting the video asset into a subcomp container did not fix the problem. Transcoding the media into ProRes did eventually solve the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's moving the Layer Timespan (which is what you're doing when you press the left bracket or right bracket) and then there's nudging (or moving) the keyframes.  If the keyboard shortcut is working, then you should be able to click and drag the Layer Timespan with the Selection tool.  Furthermore, you should be able to click and drag a marquee selection (a rectangle) around the keyframe or keyframes that you want to nudge (you may have noticed that they turn blue when selected).  You can then click and drag them left or right with the Selection tool.

Another thing to double-check is the current frame rate and duration in After Effects.  To a new user, a Comp that's 5 frames long can look the same as a Comp that's 5 seconds long or one that's 5 minutes long.  Also, if you somehow set a very low frame rate (like 1 frame per second), it may appear that your frames don't have too many places to go.

It may be worth taking an After Effects class with an instructor.  After Effects has a bit of a steep learning curve.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was having this same issue (long term user for 10+ years, it seems patronizing to continue to assume this is just 'beginner' problems and not a potential software bug) and I can confirm that: making a new keyframe and deleting it resolved my issue, but also marquee selecting a keyframe and alt-arrow to shift keyframe can be useful too before it become's 'resolved'.  I was using imported .mp4 footage and am not going to attempt to reimport as Pro Res, so I cannot attest to that particular fix, and I'll respond here if I come across this problem again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jon.

I'm just sharing what's worked for me without having keyframes appear to be locked.

That said, what is it about a post in this thread tbat refers to applying Time Remapping to a source footage format with interframe compression that gives the impression of being an intermediate or advanced user?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines