• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Get Light Layers to Show or Work

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using After Effects 2020 with Windows 10 with Nvidia Quadro K4000 GPU with the driver updated and the CPU is Intel Xeon E5 2.40 GHz. I am trying to create a light by choosing Light from the Layer Menu and it doesn't work. I can't get it to show up or work. I took a screenshot of it and if someone could help me with this I would appreciate it as I haven't been able to get a light layer to work in months. 

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Black doesn't accept lighting effects. Change the color of your Solid.

And all of AE's Render Engines support 3D lights.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of your layers is a 3D layer, so naturally a 3D light won't affect them. I suggest you actually read the online help on these basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and your rude attitude. If you look at the image that I uploaded, you will see that I have changed the 3D render which can only be done if you have a 3D layer in your composition so I obviously did at one time. I have uploaded a new photo to make you happy.  

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Whenever I "actually" read the online help I can't get very far because when I follow along, their light shows up and mine does not or when they give step by step instructions, the instructions all go by as if when you create a light layer, that the light shows up. So when it doesn't, I can't go very far obviously. If you do an ounce of research, there are a lot of people having the same issues as me without any REAL answers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black doesn't accept lighting effects. Change the color of your Solid.

And all of AE's Render Engines support 3D lights.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roland, that worked. I don't know much about these things and how they work. I would think that light would work the best against a black layer which is why I choose it. I switched it to a blue and the light layer now works. Thanks for the help on that. Appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting back and confirming the issue and resolution. As to why 'black' isn't affected by light, it's due to the way AE's render engines does its calculations and that's an area beyond my scope. At least you now know what to avoid to get productive.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines