Highlighted

Cannot render on my machine

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to the community !

I've been working on a project with lots of layers but not more than usual and I had a problem when I tried to render my aep file to an avi. In the middle of the render (not the same moment each time I tried), I get the "goat scream"... and the render stops.

I had to render on another machine that's less powerful than mine to make it work* (24GB of RAM instead of 32 - and old ATI GPU instead of my Nvidia 1660 Super).

Now. * My CPU is a Intel i5-3470 3.20GHz and the other PC has an i7, so everything happens a little faster whern it comes to some parts.

I'd like to know which tests I can do to avoid this ; I'm in a middle of a big production and since covid struck the entire profession, it's my only contract and I'd love not to mess with it.

And also, lately, when I open Photoshop AND After Effects at the same time and the CPU and RAM are stressed, my screens go black and my PC reboots... I'll have to make tests and reinstall both I think.

But in the meantime, if you have any tips for tests or anything, please don't hesitate 😉

Thank you very much for your help, tips, thoughts 🙂

Sebastien

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot render on my machine

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to the community !

I've been working on a project with lots of layers but not more than usual and I had a problem when I tried to render my aep file to an avi. In the middle of the render (not the same moment each time I tried), I get the "goat scream"... and the render stops.

I had to render on another machine that's less powerful than mine to make it work* (24GB of RAM instead of 32 - and old ATI GPU instead of my Nvidia 1660 Super).

Now. * My CPU is a Intel i5-3470 3.20GHz and the other PC has an i7, so everything happens a little faster whern it comes to some parts.

I'd like to know which tests I can do to avoid this ; I'm in a middle of a big production and since covid struck the entire profession, it's my only contract and I'd love not to mess with it.

And also, lately, when I open Photoshop AND After Effects at the same time and the CPU and RAM are stressed, my screens go black and my PC reboots... I'll have to make tests and reinstall both I think.

But in the meantime, if you have any tips for tests or anything, please don't hesitate 😉

Thank you very much for your help, tips, thoughts 🙂

Sebastien

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple diagnosis is of course an issue with your graphics hardware and AE's hardware acceleration features. Since that's not really helpful, start by enabling more verbose render logging by choosing "Per Frame Info". That way you get at least an idea what happened when it stops. also simply monitor your task manager and/ or the resource monitor with a particular eye on memory and disk usage. You simply could be running out of disk space soemwhere as well. and obviously in order to not always lose your work render to intermediate formats, i.e. image sequences and compile the movie later in a second pass. This may in fact even avoid AE producing a ton of temp files and help render speeds as well as potentially prevent running out of disk space, should that really be part of the issue.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advices Mylenium ! I'll try everything you mention.

The thing is I changed my Video Card recentley BECAUSE of this problem and the problem is still here.

Since I came from an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660 and bought a GTX 1660 Super, I hoped it would help but maybe I also have to change preferences to get something stable.

The other thing is I actually had this monitors switch off problem twice today, as I was just working with Photoshop.

I tried to purge the cache and it kinda works if I don't open AE or Chrome at the same time... And as long as I check my CPU / GPU / RAM usage.

It's actually strange because I didn't have this problem when I was working with 16Go RAM.

I guess a Windows clean re-install could also help.

Anyway. I'll try to fix the issue with the solutions you posted and see if how it works for me 😉

Thanks a lot and have a great day !

Sebastien

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again 🙂

So I'm trying to render frame by frame on a TIF export (it reminds me of the 2000s ^^ !) and the render still gives me a goat scream and randomly stops at some point.

Just a little question though : it seemed to me that the render (video exports) were using CPU and not GPU.

So do you think the graphic hardware could still be in cause ?

Thanks again for your help 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again 🙂

So I don't know if anyone has seen my posts lately but I've solved the rendering problem thanks to a YouTube video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaNHG8Rh5ZU

At least I hope it will help other people who have the same issue 😉

Have a nice day (and please, don't hesitate to answer my questions if you can 😉

In this guide I show you how to quickly render high quality After Effects projects! Take note! NOTE: Make sure you have QuickTime installed to have the H.264...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0