• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant tell when a clip in a separate layer is hitting another

New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure how to explain this but Im switching from vegas to after effects and I was wondering if there is anyway to tell when a clip is hitting another one like in vegas. Lets say I have two clips on two seperate layers. Theres no way to tell when the clip on layer 2 is hitting the clip on layer 1 which leads to the clip on layer 2 overlapping with layer 1. Also im able to move my starting clip to the left of where the video begins. Is there a way to change either of these. I dont see the point in being able to cut off my beginning clip when it is already split how I want it. It makes it difficult to choose where it starts as it leads to frames being left out or a black screen for a couple frames. Its annoying having to eyeball these things.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, spend some time with the tutorials Adobe included in the User Guide

Second, If you are trying to edit videos in After Effects you are using the wrong tool. After Effects is only suited to creating visual effects shots, composites, and motion graphics that you cannot create in an NLE. More than 90% of my comps are under seven seconds, one shot, and they contain as many layers as needed to complete the effect I need to create.

If you can see the in and out-point of a layer you can just use the keyboard to set new in and out points for the layer. If the in and out points extend beyond the comp length the footage in the timeline can be opened in the Layer panel by double-clicking or using Right Click or the Layer/Open Layer menu. You will get a time bar at the bottom and you can use the same keyboard shortcut Alt/Option + [ to set a new in point or Alt/Option +] to set a new out-point for the layer.

Holding down the shift key will snap in and out points of layers to each other so there is no overlap.

There is one other thing that causes people used to editing in an NLE some problems when editing using compositing or visual effects apps. The Current Time Indicator stops at the beginning of a frame so if you make a cut or set the out point you will not cut off the frame you are seeing, the cut is after the frame has played. This causes a lot of confusion when you are looking closely at the timeline. It is also why the time display will show 00:00:29:23 on the last frame of a 30 second 24 fps comp. You will still see the last frame in the timeline, it has not played yet, and the comp is not 1 frame shorter than it should be. 

I hope this helps. AE is a very useful visual effects, animation, and motion graphics tool, but it is just about the worst video editor you could possibly use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for the reply, it was a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines