• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC2020 Slow UI on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So I recently made the switch from mac to windows for my home computer. I still use macs in the workplace, but I've noticed that older macs that I use at work perform much better than this new windows computer with newer and better hardware. Some issues I run into on my windows computer are...

Freezing every time I save. It usually doesn't crash, but it's a bit frustrating that it takes about 4x as long to save compared to the macs I use at work

RAM preview & rendering is quick, but scrubbing through the timeline is painfully slow. The playhead lags far behind my mouse.After Effects gets easily overwhelmed if I try use PageUp/Down or J/k  keys to flip through the frames. These issues prevail even when the timeline is RAM previewed (green).

Drawing Squares/Ellipses, and adjusting the position of any layer is blurry and slow to update, making fine adjustments tedious and difficult.
Scrolling up and down through the layer stack lags a lot. This is is also a problem when I use Ctrl Up/Down arrow key move up or down one layer at a time.

-Using the "`/~" key to go fullscreen in a panel isn't very responsive. When I press it AE pauses for a second, the UI flashes, and then it goes full screen. It's much more repsonsive on the MAC computers I've used.

I understand After Effects is bound to slow down once a project file gets more pre-comps & layers added to it, but it puzzles me that when I take the exact same project file from work and bring it home it to work on, the UI slows down drastically. I've done render benchmarks of the computers at work and my home computer, and as expected my home computer will render the same project file quicker under the same conditions. However whenever I work on the same project file on each machine, I notice the UI is always much more responsive when I work on the weaker iMac. Do any other windows users have this issue? I've seen some users report similiar issues with high DPI monitors. Is this just the state of After Effects on windows?

System Specs
DELL U2518D 2560 x 1440p monitor
i7-8700k
GTX 1060
32g RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500 GB (for OS)
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250 GB (for Disk Cache)
Seagate Skyhawk 1 TB (for Media)

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. Though I haven't worked on Mac for some time, I have just completed a workstation build (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cx/saved/gWRk99) that's no slouch.

And I've come here, today, because the UI on AE is incredibly slow and laggy. Note that rendering is OK - not great - but much better than my last workstation.

Ugh. This UI tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's so frustrating! But I've tried out MANY things in the past six months that have helped the UI performance to some extent.

-Updating my audio driver (found some other cases online of people with this issue w/ adobe prograns, including on my motherboard's manufacturer website
-Updating BIOS on my motherboard (also listed as a known issue on mobo's website)
-Not sure if you are experiencing the saving issues like me, but I noticed AE runs MUCH quicker when my computer is disconnected from the internet. I talked with the IT guy at my workplace and we think that we figured out that one thing the files that were freezing on me had in common is that they  were all being pulled from a  mac network drive, and the permissions only allowed users on that mac server to read/write, changing the permissions on the files to allow all users to read write seemed to fix the issue!

This isn't the kind of thing that you can easily benchmark like a render, but yeah, overall the UI just feels more responsive on mac. Maybe it was placebo, but I noticed an improvement (though not great lol) after updating my audio and bios, I hope this helps you out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines