Highlighted

CEP/AEGP Plugins - Need some help with limitations and which one is the right tool

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

My colleagues and I are busy creating an after effects extension in CEP - which is going swimmingly, to be honest. Not everything is always as clear as we want it to be, but luckily we have aenchancers 😉
Now we are running into a couple of issues that we can't seem to fix using CEP, like:
- reading/polling whether a project is still being opened by AE, or that it is fully open (only applies to really big projects and when the extension is already running, but still...)
- automated installing/generating of AOM files/output modules.
- automated initiation of the Collect Files feature. We can make a button that starts the process when pressed, but so far we have been unsuccessful actually automating the process itself.

Now, in our quest for answers, we encountered AEGP - which in theory could solve all our issues but would potentially create a much more complex plugin than our current CEP implementation.
My main question, however, is this: How future proof is AEGP. Adobe seems to be actively pushing CEP as the solution for most extensions/plugins and appears to be using it themselves as well. Does that mean CEP may be the way to go, and that things like initiating a collect all just "isn't in the CEP features yet", but could be added in a next release?
Or, is CEP the way to go for simpler things, but AEGP will be THE way to tackle the issues mentioned above for the foreseeable future?

A combination could potentially be possible as well, of course, building everything in CEP, but getting results from AEGP parts when polling the project status for example. But still, the main question remains - is AEGP worth investing in, or is it nearing its end and being replaced by CEP.

This is probably a very silly question, but information is rather limited it appears.
Any nudge in the right direction is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting, SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CEP/AEGP Plugins - Need some help with limitations and which one is the right tool

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

My colleagues and I are busy creating an after effects extension in CEP - which is going swimmingly, to be honest. Not everything is always as clear as we want it to be, but luckily we have aenchancers 😉
Now we are running into a couple of issues that we can't seem to fix using CEP, like:
- reading/polling whether a project is still being opened by AE, or that it is fully open (only applies to really big projects and when the extension is already running, but still...)
- automated installing/generating of AOM files/output modules.
- automated initiation of the Collect Files feature. We can make a button that starts the process when pressed, but so far we have been unsuccessful actually automating the process itself.

Now, in our quest for answers, we encountered AEGP - which in theory could solve all our issues but would potentially create a much more complex plugin than our current CEP implementation.
My main question, however, is this: How future proof is AEGP. Adobe seems to be actively pushing CEP as the solution for most extensions/plugins and appears to be using it themselves as well. Does that mean CEP may be the way to go, and that things like initiating a collect all just "isn't in the CEP features yet", but could be added in a next release?
Or, is CEP the way to go for simpler things, but AEGP will be THE way to tackle the issues mentioned above for the foreseeable future?

A combination could potentially be possible as well, of course, building everything in CEP, but getting results from AEGP parts when polling the project status for example. But still, the main question remains - is AEGP worth investing in, or is it nearing its end and being replaced by CEP.

This is probably a very silly question, but information is rather limited it appears.
Any nudge in the right direction is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting, SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 18, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AEGP will always exist in some form, that's for sure. AE's entire workflow is based around it. It's really just that it's complemented by so much other stuff these days, a lot of it not publicly documented, so it's sort of falling behind. Will CEP ever take over? I doubt it, as would mean turning AE entirely on it's head. It's simply not event-based to begin with, so scripts can just sit there and wait forever. More than anything that is the question at the core of it all: Would the devs ever risk breaking the app completely and rebuilding it from the ground up? In my world the answer to that is a resounding No, given that if there were any sincere intentions to do so it would have had to happen over a decade ago when AE first showed signs that its dated architecture and old paradigms don't live up to modern standards. All that being the case, it's more likely Adobe develop something fresh or buy up Cavalry or Notch and then at some point simply phase out AE. So whatever you have in mind, the AEGP will be there at least for the next five years, no matter how you spin it. Adobe won't risk breaking workflows for millions of customers and losing them when there is no alternative in place. Of course you can always hope they will implement better CEP support, but knowing AE and Adobe as I do, I wouldn't hold my breath... My 2 Cents.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much as I expected. Thanks for your elaborate answer.
You say, however, "you can always hope they will implement better CEP support, but knowing AE and Adobe as I do, I wouldn't hold my breath" - arent they actively pushing CEP at the moment for extensions etc - so wouldn't then be implied that they will do their best to keep CEP as relevant as possible? I know these things are usually not too high on Adobe's to-do list, but I kinda hoped that the role CEP is taking atm made it sort of implied that it would get treated nicely for the foreseeable future?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that CEP won't be "treated nicely", but you have to realize that it may not be a top priority in some departments, regardless. Not really much more to say than that. It should be okay for the next five years, but what happens after that is anyone's guess....

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, makes sense. Thanks again for the answers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0