Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Client can't open After Effects File

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

I'm a total newbie with AE but I've manged to figure out how to create a simple animation for a client.

They liked the final video but have asked for the RAW file. I exported  using the Dependecies option. I then collected all the required files and sent them over.

They have now said they can't open the master file as it's saying it's locked?

Any ideas please?

Best Regards

Peter

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE files cannot be locked, the issue is somewhere else.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any idea of what's going on in your project nobody can tell you much. As martin already pointed out, AE project files have no protection mechanism of any kind, so something went wrong. The first and most obvious question would have to be, whether your client is actualyl using the same version of AE. AE files are not forward compatible. An AE 2019 project will not open in AE 2018, only the other way around.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locking a file is not a standard AE function. I can lock files on my Mac by changing the file permissions No Access, but I can't lock them using AE. If I sent you a no access file you could not access the file.

If they were running an older version of AE they then would get an error that clearly states the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image001.png

So client is getting this error - I've added write properties to all assets yet she's still getting this. Can't find anything anywhere on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save the file as an ADT (template?) instead of an AEP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem when I downloaded an after effects template. Turns out the problem was that I opened it directly from the zipped file instead of extracting the files first.

Solution that worked for me: Extract files into a new location and then open project file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!! This was the exact solution I needed. Looked everywhere online and couldn't find an answer. But this worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines