Highlighted

Client can't open After Effects File

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

I'm a total newbie with AE but I've manged to figure out how to create a simple animation for a client.

They liked the final video but have asked for the RAW file. I exported  using the Dependecies option. I then collected all the required files and sent them over.

They have now said they can't open the master file as it's saying it's locked?

Any ideas please?

Best Regards

Peter

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Client can't open After Effects File

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

I'm a total newbie with AE but I've manged to figure out how to create a simple animation for a client.

They liked the final video but have asked for the RAW file. I exported  using the Dependecies option. I then collected all the required files and sent them over.

They have now said they can't open the master file as it's saying it's locked?

Any ideas please?

Best Regards

Peter

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 07, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE files cannot be locked, the issue is somewhere else.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any idea of what's going on in your project nobody can tell you much. As martin already pointed out, AE project files have no protection mechanism of any kind, so something went wrong. The first and most obvious question would have to be, whether your client is actualyl using the same version of AE. AE files are not forward compatible. An AE 2019 project will not open in AE 2018, only the other way around.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locking a file is not a standard AE function. I can lock files on my Mac by changing the file permissions No Access, but I can't lock them using AE. If I sent you a no access file you could not access the file.

If they were running an older version of AE they then would get an error that clearly states the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image001.png

So client is getting this error - I've added write properties to all assets yet she's still getting this. Can't find anything anywhere on it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save the file as an ADT (template?) instead of an AEP?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020 0