• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Stamp in AE - can you turn off later in the timeline

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I'm using the clone stamp tool to hide a few objects in video footage.  I only need to do this for a short part of the video clip, starting from the beginning.  It's working nicely and I'm able to keyframe the from ("Clone Position") and to ("Clone 1") from frame to frame and cover up an item while the camera moves.  However, I can't find a way to turn it off later in the timeline.  The camera moves significantly and I don't need to continue the clone stamp - in fact, it's causing problems later in the clip.

I was looking for an opacity or some way to turn off the clone stamp later in the timeline but couldn't find.  Any suggestions.  The clip I'm working on already has hours invested in many effects.  So I can't simply split it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your layer with clone stamp applied, press 'uu' to reveal all of the modified properties of the layer. You will see each path you drew and you can see the in and out points of the paths. You can edit the paths, you can edit all of the properties, you can trim the in and out point of each brush by clicking and dragging or by using the timeline. You should be able to figure it out because every single thing you can do with a clone stamp or a paintbrush is editable and can be animated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.  I found an "Effect Opacity" in the modified properties layer under compositing options which can be keyframed, and which I used to stop the clone stamp later in the timeline.  Problem solved!  The only issue was the Effect Opacity option was not displayed by pressing 'uu', I needed to flip the ">" down at the paint layer to expose this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Consider using Rick's suggestion instead.  

By keyframing the Effect Opacity rather than trimming the Clone Time Span, After Effects continues to process the clone even though you're not seeing it which unnecessarily increases your render time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you twirl down the Clone property you get all kinds of properties that can be animated. You can even copy a mask path or motion path and past it to the Clone 1 path. It is easy to click-and-drag the in and out points of the Clone (or paint). The start and end properties work like they do with trim paths on a shape layer. You can even adjust and even animate the clone source position and the time shift. You actually have a little more control over a paint stroke or a clone brush than you do with a shape layer path.

Screenshot_2020-10-07 10.42.30_IfiiB9.png

The screenshot is from my short film Destiny - soon to be in production as a feature film. I thought the frame was a good way to demonstrate the clone tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines